Rate my Rooster! …well cockerel

CluckingLucky

Chirping
Aug 10, 2023
Na-Au-Say, IL
This is my White Bresse cockerel, he was hatched in early April, so about 20 weeks now.

We kept him, out of 8 - Bresse cockerels we received, mainly because he is really gentle with us and the other birds and I’d like to hatch more this spring to process.

I’m learning more about chickens than I ever thought possible. Certain breed standards, or disqualifying traits like squirrel tail, knock-knee, tail angle, all sorts of interesting stuff.

It makes me wonder, how does my bird rate…

I’m not planning on doing any shows, at the moment. Then again I didn’t think I’d have a flock of 30+ birds more than 5 years ago, so who knows.

Anyways, what do y’all think of Sno-Cone, that’s what my Mom picked for his name (since he is white red and blue).

Attachments

• IMG_1218.jpeg
    IMG_1218.jpeg
    604.8 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_1220.jpeg
    IMG_1220.jpeg
    704.8 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1225.jpeg
    IMG_1225.jpeg
    812.6 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1228.jpeg
    IMG_1228.jpeg
    981.7 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1232.jpeg
    IMG_1232.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1235.jpeg
    IMG_1235.jpeg
    800.1 KB · Views: 12
Development means that it is filled out and grown to its full potential. When they use "well developed" in a standard, the "full potential" is a little higher than your average chicken.
I believe his breast could use more development. The breed is supposed to have a full body. Many large fowl breeds (including Bresse) need higher protein than your average chicks while they are still young to reach their full genetic potential.
He is a beautiful boy and I love how bright his red, white, and blue are.
He does have a good head but his body is too small and narrow for the breed. His neck and tail also are deficient but this is because his feathers haven't all grown in yet.

Thanks @Amer for taking a look!
Is there any chance to fill his body out with a more protein rich diet or as he ages would he get naturally more full bodied?
I don’t know very much about feeding LF (the price of feeding large fowl is one of the reasons why I have bantams) so you’d have to ask the feeding forum, but it is my belief he’s already too old.

I had a few Delaware males that seemed big to me even though they weren’t always raised on high protein feed (sometimes we fed it but the diet wasn’t optimal) but once I brought one to the fair I realized how small he was. He looked scrawny compared to the other. It is possible it was genetics.

I judge showmanship so I asked people what they feed their birds. One guy had a handsome, massive full-feathered Rhode Island Red cockerel that could not be older than 8 months to be entered as a cockerel (as per fair rules.) He said he fed this grower the guy at the feed mill mixed. The guy used to have it at 21 percent protein but switched to 23 percent. The kid said his young birds were 2 lbs heavier than his young birds were at the same age in previous years! I also know Buckeye breeders feed a high protein diet and that their males apparently peak at 8 months as far as looking good at shows.

Chickens will gain muscle mass (and a bit of fat) after 1 year of age, but this won’t improve the depth, width and size of the body.

Back
Top Bottom