Rats...literally.

Hatrick

Songster
10 Years
Apr 4, 2009
Anyone have a safe and effective way to deal with rats? Big rats.
I'm just waiting for the neighbours to get a good look at these things eating out of the chicken food dish and then call the by-law officer.
roll.png

I'm sure their last name is fine?? Plus it's not like they are a new member or anything...

Can you do trapping? Rats are generally out both during the day and at night, so after the chickens are in the coop for the night, set a few humane traps. That way in case a chicken accidently walks in, it won't harm them. Although I would trap at night.

However this is just a temp fix, relocate as far away as possible, or kill em. I am not sure what you can do long term that won't be harmful to the chickens.

Quote:
So DON'T change it! Yer not advertising Silkies anyway.

I have read about the bucket method of killing rats. Big bucket half full of water, sunflower seeds scattered on the top of the water... rat goes in, can't get out, drowns. Can't swear it works well, but have read about others using that method. Make sure the chickens can't get into it unless THEY can get out!

Good luck .

62756_640421.jpg

speaking of rats they have invaded my flowers
big_smile.png
only kidding (my daughter's rats)
Dont know what to try that wouldnt hurt your chickens. If they are like mine they would set off a trap becareful of poisons

If you live trap them, please don't relocate them (in other words, dump your problem on someone else). Kill them. Some friends of ours were overrun with rats and mice. They put out feed (where the chickens couldn't get to it) mixed with cement mix. The rats started dying, the surviving ones moved on, and they haven't had a problem since. Good luck!

Hmmm....interesting that I found a dead rat...yes, a rat, in the back yard last week. We have an outside cat who would have killed him. Never thought that he'd be going after the feed we have in chicken run. That's the first rat I've seen since we've been here 11 years. Now I've made the connection as to why a rat would be around. Eek! Now am I going to have to take up the chicken feed every night? 'Cause if there's one - there's a dozen.

I was going to ask the exact same question as the one that started this thread. Last night I wnet out to make sure all the birds were tucked up nice and safe in the coop and heard a rustling in an empty grain bag. Looked in and what was looking out but a RAT! Chipmunks OK, squirrels not so OK but not too bad, but RATS! Grabbed the bag held it closed and yelled for my husband to come with the .22. He came out , I dumped the rat but it ran too fast for him to get it. It headed back up the hill to the neighbors farm so I am thinking that is where it came from. I have had birds in this same coop for 3 years and this is the first rat I have seem. Years ago I had a problem with them at an other place where I had birds and meat rabbits. A condemmed house up the road was torn down and the rats relocated to my barn. I did finally find a way to get rid of them. I found a rat bait at the local Farm & Garden store that worked really well, it is a corn based brick kind of waxy that the rats loved to eat but the birds and rabbits wouldn't touch, not that I gave them the chance!
th.gif
Looks like I am off to the Farmyard store today!

Back
Top Bottom