Rattlesnakes & Copperheads

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Eggseronious, Jun 30, 2008.

1. Eggseronious

Eggseronious Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2008
    East Tennessee
    My grandfather was in the timber business and I've seen my part of rattlers & copperheads and what happens if bitten by one. The Fish & Game people tried to relocate some about 10 miles east of here, and did a couple of years ago, the people in that area got really mad about this. Some even "put the word out" that next time there will be grave consequences. [​IMG] I know there are some of these snakes protected. Here is my take on the subject. I will kill all rattlers and copperheads on my farm. My children and grandchildren are protected by me and they can rest assured that I will do so.

2. pattypenny

pattypenny Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2007
    I agree kill them. I lived in Taney co. mo. once and the rumor was that fish and game droped Rattle snakes in our area. They denied it but I wouldn't doubt it for a minute.

3. Susan aubry

Susan aubry New Egg

Apr 28, 2012
    I really want chickens but we have already killed a rattler and a couple of coppperheads. I live on the edge of woods in the north Georgia foothills...should I give up on the idea of a coop?

4. Mike Winters

Mike Winters Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2011
    put the coop on stilts about 4 feet off the ground the chickens can make the jump if they are not fat

5. kmatt87

kmatt87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2012
    Northern Colorado
    if i think a snake is going to harm one of my kids or my pets i'd kill it in a heartbeat. Doesn't matter where i am.

6. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    People are most often bitten while trying to kill snakes.

If you keep your weeds trimmed, and pay attention to not providing them hiding places snakebites are very rare.

Your kids are more likely to be harmed by your chickens than by a poisonous snake

7. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    [​IMG]
    I am glad snakes don't bother me, would hate to be scared of them, i see them all the time.
    I have seen my ducks, a bull frog and a water moccasin all sitting on the bank of the pond very close to each other and it amazed me to see such a site, tells me we all got our place here and wish people could get along as well as these critters do.

8. Mike Winters

Mike Winters Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2011
    better being safe then sorry though

9. willowfarm

willowfarm New Egg

Apr 29, 2012
    nope, get a good agressive rooster. we had one that killed a 4 foot rattler in s.c. by pecking it in the head x about 300.

10. Susan aubry

Susan aubry New Egg

Apr 28, 2012
    Thanks for the good advice..that's why this is such a good site. I've been spending my days clearing away all the brush from and low lying shrubs. My daughter has goats and thatseems to help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by