Raw milk nutrition?

abbymckinn

Chirping
6 Years
Aug 17, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Hi, we have three goats, one of which is milking. We LOVE her milk!! It's so good! I know it's really healthy raw, but we were wondering if it still had all the benefits when it was used for baking and cooking? Thanks for any help!!

I am not sure what you mean by benefits. Goat milk is good for you. Easy to digest and all that. You can use goat milk in any recipe that calls for milk.

I am not sure what you mean by benefits. Goat milk is good for you. Easy to digest and all that.  You can use goat milk in any recipe that calls for milk.

Like, how raw milk has so much beneficial bacteria, that is all killed during pasteurization. So I'm wondering if you still get all the good bacteria when it is baked/cooked?

Since heat kills bacteria, no. By the way, properly produced milk is low in bacteria.. High bacterial counts are not good. They hasten spoilage and some of them will make you sick.

Raw goats milk makes the best french toast ever! I cook with it, but like others have said, once it's heated, it loses much of its good bacteria. The exception might be chevre cheese. I've made it and it's heated at such a low temperature for a short amount of time, that I don't think it kills off the good bacteria. It's really simple to make too.

Any milk you have that starts to sour, give it to your chickens. They love it and it gives them the good bacteria for their gut.

Heating it does destroy a lot of the beneficial properties. That's why when you make yogurt from raw milk you don't heat as high as pasteurized milk, to retain the benefits.

Since heat kills bacteria, no. By the way, properly produced milk is low in bacteria.. High bacterial counts are not good. They hasten spoilage and some of them will make you sick.
Properly produced raw milk is low in unwanted bacteria. Beneficial bacteria are but one of many important parts of raw milk destroyed by heat.

Back
Top Bottom