raw Rice

cajunlizz

Songster
11 Years
Apr 27, 2008
Lafayette, Louisiana
met a man yesterday that has a full flock of chickens and feeds them ONLY raw rice . This is rice thats still in the hulls .

He told me thats ALL he has ever feed his fock and they are very healthy .

He raises for eggs , meat and resale of chickens .

Nice little set up he has going .

He sold me a bag of this raw rice for 8.00 for 50 lb. bag .

ANYBODY ever use or try this raw rice ?

When he told me " RAW RICE " I said what ? you buy rice from supermarket or rice mill and feed your chickens that ? HE then explained . I said MINE are on LAYING PELLETS and he said he has never feed laying pellets at all and have been raising flocks for past 18 years .

Some Rice Mill or feedstore in Lake Charles, La.

Now , DH went to the feedstore today and he asked if they had raw rice , they said NO , but they did have OATS and it LOOKS just like the raw rice . Chickens love it as well as the raw rice . WE STILL feed them the same amount of laying pellets a day also . Oats was 50 lb. bag for 12.00 ...

We live in Lafayette, La. and we deal with Ranch Outlet ( feedstore ) .

Hey, Liz. My uncle feeds broken rice mixed 50/50 with cracked corn. But he also feeds layer pellets. It's way cheaper than what I feed. I feed a gamebird blend along with layer pellets. I spend alot more on feed than he does, and his birds seem just as healthy as mine. Who knows? I've tried the broken rice before, but they aren't crazy about it.

Oh, I shop Ranch Outlet too. I buy my horse feed there. We may have seen each other there before, who knows? lol

Paula

Last edited:
well , I feed mine laying pellets , cracked corn ( as a treat ) NOW the raw rice ( as DH calles it ) and he added the oats to the mixture . LOL

I have RIR'S , black Austrolorps , barred rocks , and buff orpingtons and they all seem to love all I feed them .

I SWEAR , these are NOT CHICKENS , they are feathered PIGS .... lol
idunno.gif
lau.gif
thumbsup.gif

for a real treat, take a few cups of rice, brown it in a pan, no oil needed and feed it to them, they love this stuff. I found this out by accident after giving them some left overs.

I give my birds treats of scratch, (oats, unhulled sunflower seeds, once in awhile bird seed, cracked corn etc.), in small quanities as these are treats. I give them my scraps from my kitchen. I also give them vegies, fruits, most everything that I can grow including all kinds of greens. I do grow a lot of corn and watermelon especially, also tomatoes, squash, root crops, the list can go on. I feed them everything except potatoes or potato skins. I figure they will eat what they want. I do free range them. I have never had a problem with their egg production. I keep layer crumbles in their feeder in their coop as well as their waterer in their coop with dishes of free choice granite grit and crushed oyster shells.

Here is the link to BYC Chicken Treat Chart.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=2593-Treats_Chart

Back
Top Bottom