1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

re introducing sick hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by doe89, Feb 3, 2013.

1. doe89

doe89 New Egg

Feb 1, 2013
    I have had my sick hen in the house for several days. She is getting better and will be ready to head back out to the coop on Tues. I am concerned the other hens will reject her or worse attack her. She will have been out of the coop for 10 days. I have a small coop and run, not large enough to separate her from the others. Does anyone have any experience with this, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. soler

soler Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Reintroduce at night, and stick her on the roost in the middle of the others. Lightly spray everyone with some apple cider vinegar to disguise new scents. I also move around the feeders, add an extra feeder and give extra treats the next morning. Usually aggression is not an issue, but i have a reasonable amount of room.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by