Re-occurring bumble foot Help!

Drother

Chirping
Jan 14, 2016
OK, This is literally making my hair fall out, so bare with me. For 4 months I have been battling bumble foot in multiple quail. Soon as one it better the next one gets it. Bandages come off and 3 weeks later they go back on. I will go into detail. Also one had died in my home after given much love and prescriptions and hand feeding separate from the flock.

I have 7 quail in 28 sq feet of cage. I ripped out all the wire bottoms and replaced with vinyl coated half inch hardware cloth. I clean the entire thing with a brush and sprayer filled with vinegar n water 3 to 1 ratio every single day. There are no sharp edges anywhere, and double checked by wiping all down with paper towel and it didn't snag on anything. They have plastic buckets with sand and dust in them with are emptied, cleaned, and replaced with fresh sand every week. They also have cedar boards to stand on if the wire irritates them and those get cleaned and sanitized daily too.

I treat each case of bumble foot by soaking their feet in a solution of water, iodine, and Epsom salts for 5-10 mn. I dry the feet and spray with iodine, tap dry again with paper towel, apply Neosporin, massage their feet, and wrap up the foot with a small square of paper towel and self adhesive sports wrap. This is done every other day. I tried everyday but doing 3-4 birds at a time gets too much for me and they seem to be less stressed with changing bandages every other day.

I have been to the vet 3 times and she thinks I am doing things correctly. Am I missing something? At my wits end because this started in June I think, and I am still having the same problems over and over again. Cant keep this up forever. Please throw out any idea you have. No idea is to crazy at this point.

Daniel~

Wow it certainly sounds like you've tried everything.
I know how frustrating this can be.
I know nothing about quail but are there any other options except the wire bottomed cage?
How is your quails weight?
I have one chicken that has chronic bumblefoot.
She is a large breed and we think it's from jumping down from the roost.

I don't know much about quail, but I'll try.
Do you have photos of the feet and your set-up?

Any chance the cedar boards you are using have any rough edges?
Do they jump around on the wire enough they could cause injury to their feet or are they possibly getting their feet caught or pinched in the wire?

When treating your little bird's feet - are you getting a core or kernel out of the foot?

Bumblefoot is a staph infection. Bacteria enters the system through a cut, scratch, injury or a chafed and irritated area on the foot. Are their feet getting wet at all?

I'm really not interrogating you - I'm thinking while typing:D

Wyorp, I appreciate the questions. The "kernel" never was expelled that I can see but it was not a splinter because they don't run around outside and the cedar boards are sanded and stained with a non toxic finish. You can wipe the boards with a Kleenex and not get a tear in the tissue. They do scrap bottom in the plastic buckets which are filled with play sand. Maybe the sand is scratching open the pads if they do it a lot.
Kathy, The birds are med sized coturnix. They only jump down about 5 inches and the vinyl coated wire has some give in it a bounces a little when jumped on.
Attached is a photo of the coop and the rest of the coop is constructed the same too.
DSCF1086.JPG
DSCF1090.JPG

Also there are no staples used, only zip ties hold down the wire which is folded over rather then cut.

They are cute. I like your housing too.

A photo of the bottom of the feet would be helpful.
Any chance this is what you are experiencing https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/can-you-identify-this-foot-problem-in-my-quail.844141/
That is pretty close, except mine are not bleeding and no gauges. Just changed the bandages so I will get feet photo next time. I did get rid of the sand boxes where they could scrape bottom. Will replace the sand with bedding and still have dust/ dirt in the deep terra-cotta pots.

Back
Top Bottom