Ready for the coop?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by StrawberryMoon, Jun 16, 2017.

1. StrawberryMoon

StrawberryMoon Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2016
    I had originally planned to keep my chicks indoors until they were 8 weeks old, but they are 6 weeks now and they desperately need more entertainment. I'm starting to see some behavior problems and it's becoming impossible to contain the smell. It's hot here. Highs around 90, lows around 60. Do you think it's ok for them to move to the coop? There are 23 of them (faverolles).

2. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Wow.... :frow....They are totally ready to be outside in the coop.....Take them out today ... :wee

3. Izzychicky

Izzychicky Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2017
    I agree, you should put them in the coop. I have some pullets in the house now, we haven't completed the coop yet.:barnie

RUNuts and chickens really like this.
  4. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

:pop:lau:lau
    Haha..My husbands favourite question......What came first?..The Chicken or the egg?.....He always says the Coop...:lau

aart likes this.
  5. StrawberryMoon

Jul 22, 2016
    Awesome! My coop isn't quite done yet but I think I can finish it over the weekend. The minute it is ready, they are moving in!!

Now I just need to get over my own anxiety about putting them outside! I seriously might camp next to them the first few nights....:oops:

6. Kates Chooks

Kates Chooks Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2017
    Pennsylvania
    I put mine out in the coop a few days before they reached 6 weeks old. I was only waiting for night time
    temperatures here in PA to reach at least 50. They will get grumpy in a small space at the age yours are at.
    You can definitely move them out to the coop. If it stays
    cool enough in there to keep them in for several days to a week, that will get them to realize that the coop is 'home'. Helps when it's time to go to bed.

7. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Chicks are well ready for the coop at 4 - 5 weeks old, and many of us brood our chicks in the coop. OP story is an excellent example of why it's important to build the coop before getting chicks. And I am the ultimate hypocrite with this statement!

StrawberryMoon and Ol Grey Mare like this.
  8. Kates Chooks

Kates Chooks Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2017
    Pennsylvania
    I did not brood my chicks in the coop as I do not have
    power that far away from the house, but yes, many have that option.

9. gregblackburn

gregblackburn Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2017
    I just put my 4 week olds in the coop yesterday and they are loving it in there!

10. StrawberryMoon

Jul 22, 2016
    One more question! Is it better to move them in the afternoon, at night, or in the morning? I will have to be at work during the day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by