Ready for the Government Shutdown?!?

Smittenroade

Songster
8 Years
Jan 31, 2011
North East Texas
So, the Dems and Repubs can't come to a decision about the budget and this Friday we will be officially shutdown. I don't want to turn this into a fighting match so try to leave politics and personal emotion out of it. Does anyone know exactly it entails the Gov shutting down? I know that our military will not get paid, and maybe the post office shuts down for a bit...but what else? I think that we default on all our loans to China too, so our credit score takes a dive.

I'm living in Australia, but that's made it round here already. I'll have to pay more attention and give you some more info some other time... yes, I'm an avid watcher of the news, but I don't always pay attention to everything.

Quote:
Oh, thank you! That's pretty interesting. I always like finding out details about what's on the news.

NHP: Yeah, that's true, but I find it somewhat interesting, keeping up to date with what's happening around the world.

Last edited:
You're welcome. There is a lot of misunderstanding out there about what this means. That article is pretty easy to understand and seems to mesh mostly with what I've read in more complex sources.

Basically, the stuff that is meant to keep us SAFE keeps going. The other stuff stops...

Even those people working in jobs that keep us safe may not get paid until the budget is approved. Other people may or may not get backpay for days they didn't work. That would be up to Congress.

I'm glad I did our taxes early sounds like people who haven't sent them in already will have to wait to get tax refunds back. Post office emplyees can't strike and will have to work - even if no pay so taxes will need to be sent in on time.

This has happened many times just since 1977 I believe... it is all about who can ruffle their feathers longest in Washington. Post offices, because they generate their own revenue, will not be shut down nor lose pay... and I highly doubt the military pay will be held up. The point is, they keep us save and are essential, so those military stories are meant to manipulate emotions. Don't worry too much, have you ever known a politician to go too long without pay?

Back
Top Bottom