Ready to move to Coop?

MelBrown13

Chirping
Jul 20, 2020
Our bantam chicks are nearly 6 weeks old, and I'm wondering if there's any reason for us to delay moving them outside to their permanent coop?
There are no other chickens in the coop yet so there is no concern there.

We've allowed their living quarters (indoor workshop) to fluctuate between 75-85 in the past week or so, but our outside daytime highs are mid 90s with evening lows are mid 60s.

Our guys (and gals) are fluttering and sometimes actually flying all around their indoor quarters, and they seem really breast to spread their wings (so to speak).

Also, we've had them outside a few times already on brief outings. They do love it!

Ive read when transitioning to coop, that we should keep them enclosed in the coop for 2-3 days (and nights, of course) before allowing them access to their pen and run. Is this necessary?

Also, am I being premature in moving them?

Your thoughts, advise, and everything else is welcome!

I don’t know what the more experienced people will say, but I personally think you should go with your gut.
If they’re fully feathered, they should be fine.
And I have always allowed mine to have coop and run together from the moment they’re in. They can explore either at will.
I’ve never locked mine in just the coop.

Does your coop have shade and ventilation?

And what about predator potential in your area?

I would try to get them outside. But I would make sure there's shade they have access too in there also.

I also like to have more than one water source with my birds, just in case something goes wrong with the primary source. (And it also lets me be at ease and not have to be right there all the time.)

Does your coop have shade and ventilation?

And what about predator potential in your area?

I would try to get them outside. But I would make sure there's shade they have access too in there also.

I also like to have more than one water source with my birds, just in case something goes wrong with the primary source. (And it also lets me be at ease and not have to be right there all the time.)

The coop came with the house in to which we just moved a few months ago.

There's serious shade under the coop (obviously :)), and there's also shade from various trees and bushes in the run as well.

The coop does have ventilation (see pic..mthe white framed window opens entirely), but when temps near 100+ (as they sometimes do in this area), it's just darn hot regardless...shade or not.

We do plan 2 water and feed sources. 1 in the coop and 1 in the run.

Both the coop/pen and the run are predator resistant with the hardware cloth being burried all around both.

Will be putting up netting over the run to keep out hawks and prevent flyaways.

Attachments

• IMG_20200809_161853.jpg
    IMG_20200809_161853.jpg
    560.7 KB · Views: 13
They're definitely old enough to go out! I put my chicks out (and in with adults) anywhere between 2 to 5 weeks of age, depending on weather (earlier in summers when they can do without the heat lamp sooner, later in winters when they need the heat a bit longer).

If they can't escape the run, then no need to lock them in for a few days. You may have to help them figure out how to get back into the coop at night the first night or two, but they do figure out ramps and things pretty quickly.

The run is fenced as shown. This was the setup used by previous owners who only had an issue with their chickens flying out on occasion, which is why we're adding the netting on top.

I've never seen a weasel in all my years, but now I'm paranoid about everything. Having grown up in the country back in Ohio where folks had a coop and a big open farm yard, it's so wonder any chickens survived!

They're definitely old enough to go out! I put my chicks out (and in with adults) anywhere between 2 to 5 weeks of age, depending on weather (earlier in summers when they can do without the heat lamp sooner, later in winters when they need the heat a bit longer).

If they can't escape the run, then no need to lock them in for a few days. You may have to help them figure out how to get back into the coop at night the first night or two, but they do figure out ramps and things pretty quickly.
It seemed so hot to keep them at 95° their first week, but that's nothing compared to some of the temps we saw a few weeks ago here! They're overspoiled in their climate controlled workshop! haha

We're super eager to give them more space and room to roam. Thanks for your encouragement!

Back
Top Bottom