Ready to order first batch!!

Chicken7777

Songster
13 Years
Oct 10, 2008
North Jersey
Hi, I am finally ready to purchase a couple of chicks from IDEAL. I just want to be sure if I am ordering well for my first batch of chicks.I am only going to buy a couple to raise, and also because i have a large yard, but not a farm either.. I am going with....

1. Golden Comets- I want some layers of brown eggs, and i have heard allot of these guys, if you guys have something to add please do (about three guaranteed for layers i want about)

2. Red Stars- I have also heard allot of these too.(same about three)

3. I am thinking of buying some cornish cross hens, do you think it would be good to buy some to try to raise? i actually want some because i want to breed them with maybe future brahmas, to experiment in meat quality...(should i buy a rooster for breeding purposes? Which type of chicken should i experiment with in your opinions?

4. Should i buy maybe one brahma? if so which one would be the best for meat(would use for breeding purposes) (should i buy a male for breeding?) and everything else?

5. I am thinking of buying maybe a duckling, i want to go with two peking. Do you guys think i should? they would be good for my yard, for them to forage around. but also maybe future layers.

Well please tell me what you guys think, i appreciate it. Thanks!

I don't see where you are located, but ordering new baby birds at this time of year depends on where you are. I never do it until early Spring, as its just too cold here in NJ to keep them warm enough for long enough...they grow too big for the brooder boxes I use before its nice outside....Good Luck

It is definately more of a pain to raise chicks this late...but if you can keep them in the garage or put a safe heat lamp in the coop, it can work.

I haven't had the best experience with sex links, but i don't think they were good quality either, so i'm sure they'll lay for you. You could always just get RIR or NHR...then they would breed true in the future...

If you want the ducks for eggs get Khaki Campbells...they lay the most and are easy to handle. Ducks are a little messier, you have to put the waterer over another container to catch the spilage, or put it outside on a wire platform. Oh and don't use medicated starter.

I don't eat mine, so i'm not very knowledgable on that...

My comet is a very sweet bird but boy was she a ugly girl for awhile
smile.png
. Comets and Stars are both sexlinked reds so go for another breed if you can!

they laid nice but small eggs for about 6 months once they started, then it went down to tops 2-3 eggs a week...my other birds seem to lay quite well for at least 2 yrs. I think they were poor quality...feedstore chicks, I don't know where they came from...i just figure i'll get some RIR or NHR if i want boring looking super eggers. (No offense i just think they are generic looking) I get enough from my random assortment of pretty silly breeds...

Last edited:
I wouldn't waste your time with cornish cross hens. They are produced to grow BIG and fast. They typically do not live long and will flip from a heart attack or the legs will go out on them. Try working with a standard cornish to produce meat quality birds or choose a nice dual purpose fowl like orpington or brahmas.

Jody

Back
Top Bottom