Real oyster shells and crab shells from xmas dinner--can I use these?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by firsthouse_mp, Dec 27, 2010.

1. firsthouse_mp

firsthouse_mp Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2009
    NorthernCal
    My husband saved all the oyster shells and the body shells from the crabs that we ate for Christmas dinner. I have three dozen oyster shells and 6 crab shells. If I put the oysters in a fabric bag and send my 9 year old little guy out with a hammer, do you think my hens will eat this crushed shell?? [​IMG] This sounds like I could be both "recycling" and creating a FUN project for my son (a hammer is a boy's best friend right?)

What about the crab shells...anyone ever fed those to a hen? [​IMG]

2. Turkeyrangler

Turkeyrangler Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    By Lake Superior
    I don't see why not as long as they have been heated enough to destroy any bacteria that might be present.

3. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    I would absolutely do just that, with both the oyster shell and crab shell. [​IMG]

4. tom e

tom e Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2010
    Ventura County
    I'd put that crab shell in a strong blender with a little water to keep things moving. Just long enough for bite sized pieces, then strain. In fact I will from now on, thanks for the idea!

5. firsthouse_mp

firsthouse_mp Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2009
    NorthernCal
    Oh good! I do like the hint to try and sterilize them too--maybe I will put them in a quick dip of boiling water for 5 min. Thanks everyone!

6. kannna

kannna Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2010
    Martha's Vineyard
    I crush up quahog (it's a clam) shells on the patio with a hammer and they eat the little pieces when they are out in the yard. I do give em a quick scrub with a brush in the sink to get any xtra salt off. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by