Really bummed, and confused?

dianneS

Songster
Mar 16, 2009
South Central PA
I set some eggs 11 days ago, then realized that the temps were too low for the first four days. I raised the temp and waited a few more days before candling.

I've candled all of them and two are crystal clear, like nothing going on in them at all. The other nine are dark. Really dark inside. I don't see any veins, they're just dark. There is only one that seems remotely hopeful and even that one is questionable.

I've decided to set another 10 eggs now, and do a staggered hatch (if the first batch hatches at all!) rather than wait for these eggs, and just be disappointed.

I'm bummed. I think they're all going to be duds. I'm just confused as to why two are so clear, yet the rest are so dark?

Good news! I can see veins and even movement in some of the remaining eggs!

I had to get rid of two more that were obvious quitters, but I still have 5 out of 11 eggs (8 of which were shipped, so that's not bad!) and it looks like our original hatch date may be on target after all. I'm starting to think that the low temps in the beginning didn't really thwart progress as much as I thought.

What a relief. Even if I only get one chick out of this hatch, I will be happy. I really thought I had lost them all.

GOOD NEWS!!!! One egg has finally pipped and I hear chirps!!
yesss.gif
I was only going to give them until the weekend before giving up hope, but we're going to have at least one baby!
jumpy.gif
Its one of the shipped eggs too!!!

celebrate.gif

wee.gif

ya.gif
yippiechickie.gif

The two clear ones are likely infertile. They never developed. The dark ones likely have something going on inside. Keep 'em. the lower temperature at the start may delay hatch day by a day or so.

I figured that the low temps to start would delay things a bit, so I bumped back my lockdown date and my hatch date, but they just don't look so good? I'm really concerned at how dark they are inside, like rotting eggs? But wouldn't the infertile ones be rotting too?

Not necsissarally. If there isn't much bacteria inside, it takes a long time for an egg to 'go bad'. I'd take the clear ones out and do an eggtopsy to be sure if you want certainty. If you are worried about the ones that are dark, give 'em a sniff. If they don't smell, you should be ok, even if they're not alive. Keep your nose sharp, and you'll be able to catch anything that is taking a turn for the worst before they turn into egg bombs.

I just sniffed a few, and some are starting to smell
sickbyc.gif
, its just hard to distinguish which ones are emitting the most smell? Its tough, once I get a whiff, it seems like they all smell slightly?

When I open the lid to the incubator, I do smell something slightly unpleasant...
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom