Really Confused. Help?

HoneyNutmeg

In the Brooder
7 Years
Oct 22, 2012
Australia
So recently, we had one of our chickens 'Honey' at the local show, she was happily with a rooster (to try and get fertile eggs).
I think her eggs are fertile, but there is one thing that is making me really confused (about our other chicken)
Anyway. Our other chicken, Nutmeg, was adopted in April. She used to live with a flock with a rooster.
The two chickens have different coloured eggs (Nutmeg's is darker than Honey's.)
I will finally get to the point, I recently had a soft shelled egg from Honey, and I used it in cookies today, it looked fertile, but I had to get another egg for the recipe, I picked out Nutmeg's recent egg and cracked it, it had the bullseye (this has happened with other eggs of hers as well, But I thought it was a fluke), and she hasn't been in contact with a rooster for over 6 months. Is it possible that it could be 'parthenogenesis'? If I've put that in the right context.
I want to put one of her eggs in my incubator, but I have no more room left! (Full with 3 eggs of Honey's and 3 quail eggs)

If you have any advice for me, it would be well appreciated.
Plus, lots of people (friends) have been saying I got the chicken eggs mixed up. As I stated before, I know the colours of their eggs shells, (because we got Honey before we adopted Nutmeg).
I will supply some pictures to help.

This picture is of Nutmeg's egg yolk, more of a bullseye that has a lot of space between the center and outside ring.

This is Honey's egg yolk, you can see a faint ring around the center, still looking like a bullseye, just the center spot is closer to the ring.

One of the eggs (Honey's) I have in the incubator, it has a darker yolk than the old unfertile eggs of Honey's, so I expect that it is developing.
I hope I have put this in the right section, and sorry if I haven't really made sense.

Thank you!

Last edited:
I guess if you don't have any more room in the incubator, you don't have any options until that hatch is done. Good luck with the hatch, by the way.

Parthenogenesis happens with poultry. It's most famous with turkeys and the tendency seems to be hereditary but it's not totally unheard of in chickens. There is a way to find out when your incubator is empty. Really, what do you have to lose by trying? But remember that with chickens, very few that develop make it to hatch.

Is it possible she is still fertile from the rooster six months ago? I hate to say never or impossible when life is concerned, but that is a real stretch. The average they stay fertile after a mating is two weeks. I sincerely doubt that is from that rooster.

Do other birds like grouse or pheasant have access to her? Cross-species fertilization is not unheard of, though it is something else that is not that common. Again this is a stretch but maybe not as much of a stretch as parthenogenesis.

Thank you for the reply!
I will soon try with the eggs, to see whether or not they will grow!
Nutmeg and Honey are both free range, and Nutmeg seems to cling to Honey most of the time, and I don't think we have grouses or pheasants that do have access to her, but it's so hard to get this wrapped around my head.. just can't work it out! Nothing is really impossible in this world...

Update!

Have placed one of Nutmeg's freshly laid eggs into the incubator (I moved the quail into another one, they are going into lockdown)
If I happen to see something in 3 days when candling, then I don't know what to think!

Back
Top Bottom