REALLY NEED HELP FOR THIS ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!18 died

The temp I gave was the air temp where I live. I figured it was too hot for them. The water was almost too hot to touch from the heat lamps. I am hetting 15 more today so that should put me at 24. And about the compressed wood flakes I don't know what kind they are but you might be on to something. I think it might be cedar.

If the water was that hot then it probably was to hot. Get a thermometer and remember to leave an area where they can go to get away from the heat. And get new bedding to change the old out with.

Good luck!

One more question. I am going to go pick up 15 more today at a local farm supply store. They will be NH Reds and they are 1 week and 1 day old. Will that be ok to mix them with my 4-5 day old chicks?

I wanted to add that if your wood chips are cedar, you need to change them to pine. Cedar chips will have a redish color and will have a strong smell. Pine will be cream colored. Cedar isn't good for any small animals!!!

Good luck with your new babies!!!!

I don't use a thermometer but I watch them very closely initially till I get the height and angle of the heat bulb just right. If they huddle under the light they are too cold. If they get as far away from it as they can, or are panting, they are too hot. I watch them closely and keep moving the bulb higher or lower till they seem to be comfortable and sleep spread out on floor - not huddling, not crowding into farthest corner away.

Also, your water needs to be away from the light - they will not drink hot water.

Get a thermometer in their and find out if you are too cold or too hot. Some people forget...you don't want to roast them in the brooder either!
This much I know: if you will stick to the temps, always have food and water, and don't use toxic cedar wood chips, all should be fine!
Brian

Well I got the 15 more yesterday. (NH reds) So now I have 24 including the ones I didn't lose. I went ahead and moved them from the 3 ft tank to a 6 foot tank. Instead of all the heat lamps I'm using one heat and one regular bulb. Went out there today and they were all spread out eating, drinking and sleeping. I think I might actually get this right. They had a bunch of poo on their butts but I got it all off withwarm water and a paper towel. So as far as I can see they are doing great. I hope.

Are they still outside, 1st Timer? They may be okay right now, but if it gets drafty, or too cold, you may have another tragedy on your hands. Heat lamps help, but if the room temp (outside air temp also) is too cold, it won't be enough. Can you bring the brooder inside, to a basement, laundry room. etc? I have two 75 gallon livestock water tanks in my basement right now, just waiting for the new chicks to arrive. I keep them inside until they are at least fully feathered, and when it warms up enough, they go out to the coop, with a heat lamp out there also.

Back
Top Bottom