Really upset! Re: Neighbor & hunting

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do not blame you for being upset. I would be too. I do small game hunting (pheasant/partridge) , my Dh goes big game hunting with some friends. I have 50 acres of land and my neighbours on the one side also has 50, to the other side that neighbour has 100 acres. They both at one point or another have come knocking on my door asking if they can hunt moose and bear on my land. I flatly told them no, that not even us hunt on our land, I enjoyed them as my neighbours and have great respect for them, I also told them that there were more reasons than the fact that I didn't want to upset the habitants on my land, but for family and pet safety too. I refuse to allow anyone to hunt on my land. there is a lot of crown land for hunting and I prefer my land to stay the way it is. I have moose, and bears, a pack of wolves that come back every year as well as ducks, herons, and many foxes too, I am sure I got more animals residing on my land as I have seen them out there just haven't found their homes.

Every hunting season I find hunters on my land, who have found their way in through the surrounding crown lands, they respectfully abide by my no hunting rule and move on elsewhere.

best thing you could do is tell your neighbour that you have realized after talking to the person who leases your land that hunting on your property would be detrimental to the cows on the land. She would honestly understand that and have no problems with it at all. Hunters, in any place would understand that livestock is important. Here however, where I live there is not hunting at all near private livestock or residences, it is illegal and the fines are excessively high, and there is also prison time.

Breathe easy and remember those cows come first :-D and this will preserve your beautiful deer :-D
hugs.gif

I totally agree with the posts that " its your land and your rules". If you're uncomfortable with someone hunting on your land, then absolutely don't allow it.

Being hunter myself, I can respect your values and opinions and don't need even an explanation as to why. I wouldn't never want someone questioning me on my beliefs or asking me to justify them.

However; miss information and hear say should be avoided too. Make your judgments based on the facts and your personal preference.

Fact, Most hunters hunt for food, not for sport and not to scare away birds.
D.gif

Fact, feeding deer can actually hurt the deer (see your local fish and game dept for info)
Fact, Depending on the state, most town property can be hunted unless posted or if its a preserve/sanctuary. Many states even have common laws that were written back in colonial days,
old.gif
stating you are not even required to ask permission if the property is not posted. That said, its a courtesy most hunters will do.
Fact, although beautiful and majestic, deer carry ticks and ticks bring with them many diseases. Take great care when walking on your property where the deer frequent.

All I can say is, Please don't judge all hunters by the actions of a few. If they are asking for your permission, they are being respectful of you and your wishes. not to mention, I am sure there are just as many irresponsible chicken owners as there are bad hunters.

Remember, stories change over in time and usually to make them a better story.

Quote:
Accident my foot... not many deer carry their cookware with them... though I imagine a good rack would work wonders for drying time...

Grit I think you did right exactly. You are concerned about disturbing the cows and expressed it. You didn't in any way try to tell her she shouldn't hunt, and most especially shouldn't hunt on her land... even gave her permission to enter yours to clean up the mess should it wander. But you also didn't give her free rein of your property... which you and DH both don't want.

I think you handled things just right. And since your DH said she'll abide your wishes I don't think anything more needs to be said.

Dad's got a big ol' meadow (used to have cows in it) in front of his house and many a day deer wander right on through... but he, and the rest of the hunters in the family, do NOT hunt those. They go to the effort to be real hunters, gear up, 4am in a hide, freeze their bums off, and wait and hope for a clean shot. If they don't get one, there's always next year. And if they do that's dinner for a while. That's a real hunter IMO.

Quote:
This is precisely why we always said no to hunting on our land even though we had 550 acres. Folks get excited and sad things happen. Frankly, I wouldn't feel the need to explain beyond the word "No". If someone asks why, well, I tend to look at them like they are 5 years old and say, "Because I said "no"."

just let her know nicely, that you don't belive in hunting, and would not like her to hunt on your property. you really don't need to go into a long explantion on why, just be nice and simple, plus that (your farm) is leased out and your tenant doesn't wish the property to be hunted on, but if a injured deer strays on your property allowing your neighbor to track it, finish the job and tag it is the right thing to do also, but ask her to let you know if they are tracking an animal on your property.
I personally do not hunt but i also understand the need for hunting, where I'm at there are no predators for deer but people, and keeping the deer herd under control is a fine line.

Quote:
Most of this I agree with, but I do not know of any city or town where discharging a firearm, except in defense of person or property, is legal. Shooting, for whatever reason, near residences is DANGEROUS. This is not a hunting is RIGHT or hunting is WRONG issue; it is a safety issue.

Arizona is a gun-happy state; maybe the MOST gun-happy (no permit required for concealed carry, and you can pretty much take a concealed weapon anywhere you want except schools), but discharge of a firearm inside a city or town is a felony except under very limited circumstances.

Last edited:
We live way outside of town. My DH is a police officer, so we are very aware of gun laws. I myself own a 22 rifle and a shotgun; mostly for my own personal protection, but also for the protection of my animals. The property is well posted on the north and east sides, where we are less familiar with the neighbors (maybe 3 families that weren't living there during the years that DH grew up on this farm). The neighbor to the west and the one to the south (this lady) have been known to DH since he was in grade school. I believe his extended family has known the neighbors even longer than that, since this farm has been in DH's family since civil war times. I guess that's the reason no one in DH's family has ever felt the need to post in those areas.

As I said, this lady and I are from different cultures altogether. DH has told me about her late husband shooting egrets on the ponds (theirs, which is close to our smaller pond) daily. Why? Because they were eating all "his fish". Stuff like that bothers me, but it was/is their property, so not my place to speak up about.

I related the conversation that I had with this lady, word for word, to DH. It's his opinion that I got my point across. If I didn't, and I see her or her grown sons on this property with a gun, I guess I'll have to grow a backbone and go have another little talk.

I've not naive about life. I tried for many years to harden my heart against the realities of the world, without success. I am 48 years old and I still get a sllghtly twitchy stomach when I see roadkill; be it dog, coon, possum, skunk or deer. I am who I am and I'm at the point in my life where I can finally stop apologizing for who I am.

Live and let live. I bid you peace, with my thanks for not getting this thread locked.
smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
Not to stir my own pot, at all! but I do have a genuine question for you. A simple question from a non-hunter to a hunter.

How is my feeding the deer different from the hunters feeding the deer? They surely aren't able to kill every deer that comes to their feeders and their feeders are everywhere. To buy corn for the deer I only have to go as far as the sporting goods dept. at our local walmart. I don't buy the deer-caine or deer crack or anything like that, also available at the walmart.

Quote:
Not to stir my own pot, at all! but I do have a genuine question for you. A simple question from a non-hunter to a hunter.

How is my feeding the deer different from the hunters feeding the deer? They surely aren't able to kill every deer that comes to their feeders and their feeders are everywhere. To buy corn for the deer I only have to go as far as the sporting goods dept. at our local walmart. I don't buy the deer-caine or deer crack or anything like that, also available at the walmart.

Not that poster, but here in MI, feeding deer is banned, with a nice fine. There is the concern of spreading TB here, and to a very limited amount (which caused the ban), CWD. So, no baiting, feeding, feeders etc or anything that would encourage deer nose to nose contact.

I've heard of cases of folks getting prosecuted for "baiting" because the deer were eating from their bird feeders, or even, eating dropped apples.

Better safe than sorry, it's best to check your state laws, and usually the DNR site. I've heard but can't cite that 27 states now ban baiting/feeding either all the time or some of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom