reason for diarrhea in chick? [UPDATE: IT'S COME BACK AGAIN]

dancingchicken77

In the Brooder
11 Years
Oct 22, 2008
Australia
it had diarrhea at about 1 week. i thought it was because i wasn't putting enough wood shavings down in the box, so that it was pecking up maybe a bit too much poo. so i started using more wood shavings, and added some grated hardboiled egg and a little yoghurt to the chick feed occasionally, cleared right up.

my chicks are 3 weeks 2 days now, and chick has diarrhea again. this time it's not yellow brown, more a little grey and runny.

can anyone help with any ideas why this might be? thanks so much in advance. i'm new to all this

UPDATE: thank you for those 2 responses. does anyone else have some advice for me pretty please? i hope my chick is ok. the diarrhea is back today and it's yellow brown again. frequent too. chick is almost 4 weeks old. seems otherwise fine and energetic, although perhaps a little thin, small and feather growth isn't as thick as the other chick. my other chick (a few days older) is fine. i hatched the chick with diarrhea myself. the chicks are still living in a box, though a bigger box now with newspaper, then paper towelling, then a thickish layer of wood shavings. fresh water 2-3 times a day. fresh food 2 times a day - chick pellets plus sometimes yoghurt or grated hardboiled egg. letting them free-range for a short spell each day, will start extending that.

can anyone else help please?

Last edited:
My chicks got grey diahrea when they ate newspaper. It would just shoot straight through them. I think it might be more from eatting the litter than eatting the poo. For very young chicks, you typically cover the shavings with paper towels until they leanr what is and isn't food.

Not sure this will help, but here's a link about 'poo'
smile.png

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=91786&p=2

Back
Top Bottom