Reasons to live in the South

Quote:
YAY Gritty! Finally someone who loves Florida too.
hugs.gif
Sorry about Kane.
fl.gif
Be praying for him.

Nah... southern drawl dont bother me.... its when they pass my call on the India or Asia that i get irate...
hmm.png

Quote:
YAY Gritty! Finally someone who loves Florida too.
hugs.gif
Sorry about Kane.
fl.gif
Be praying for him.

I'm in the love Florida club too... lived there on and off my whole life.
big_smile.png

maybe i missed it...... POPCORN!!! staple around here, and sweet tea

when our daughter moved back here from california(i was raised there too) she couldn't get over men holding the door open for her and calling her maam! the gentle southern attitude... best and only place to live!!

and chickens chickens and driving through town see chickens!!

Quote:
football is horrible.

Have you ever been to a live SEC game in the fall? The air is hot and heavy all afternoon, and then shifts to crisp as the sun sets. You spend the day tailgating with your friends, eating burnt hotdogs and charred burgers with some potato salad on the side... a little bit before the gates open you hear the band start up with all the great team cheers and the team fight song. All around you people start cheering and singing along. You follow the throng into the stadium, where you are surrounded by thousands, tens of thousands, hundreds of thousands of screaming fans all chanting the words you love to scream and sing too. At some point the home team band takes the field and the crowd goes wild. The mascot shows up (and at my alma mater the eagle takes flight around the stadium in great swooping circles) and you tear up a little because it is just all so amazing. There are college boys in their khakis and white shirts and ties, sorority girls in their short dresses and cute shoes, there are zillions of alumni who love this school with a passion because their glory days were indeed glorious. The air is ALIVE with team fervor and the team hasn't even taken the field yet.
Then the players come rushing on with the band in full voice, the cheerleaders tumbling like mad and flags waving furiously. THe entire stadium erupts into wild cheers before finally settling into the fight song. There is nothing more amazing than hearing 80,000 people singing along with the band. It touches that part inside of you that for centuries has led men into battle screaming like banshees and brandishing their weapons in the face of death. There is nothing more exciting than the beginning of an SEC football game.

Then the game begins and both teams fight for victory. The best part of the SEC is that the old grey haired woman behind you is just as likely to be able to do a play-by-play as the beer drinking redneck two rows in front of you. And that little old lady is every bit as ferocious about the game as the screaming college kids over in the student section. It is a love nurtured from the cradle to the grave and we take it seriously.

The sun slowly sets as the teams battle through the night. When it is all over, you straggle out of the stadium with the other 80,000 fans. If the night was victorious, you celebrate as generations have celebrated before you , be that draping toilet paper over live oaks or belting out a "Rammer Jammer" or the ringing of the chapel bell. There is more food and drink and fellowship late into the night when you finally crawl exhausted into your bed.

How can you say football is horrible when this is the experience? It is one of the most amazing experience you will ever be a part of.

NOW you're talkin! Football is a way of life in The South. I was going to football games before I was going to school. CityGirlintheCountry captured it well enough to know that she understands but no one will really get it unless you were raised on it and then experience that fall Saturday at Your Stadium, wearing Your Colors, and hearing Your Fight Song along with the 100,000 others with exactly the same experience. I don't want to leap into the rivalry here but we all know it's there, it's always there, and sometimes drives people over the edge (I am truly sorry about the trees CityGirl - I hope something can be done, I mean it) But I also can't end this post without just one ROOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL TIDE, ROLL!

Back
Top Bottom