Reassuring our babies

PulletSurpriseWinner

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 27, 2011
Hurricane Irene hit New Hampshire yesterday. It wasn't nearly as bad as in other places, but it was windy, extremely rainy, and then knocked out our power. Between the wind, the driving rain, and the noisy generator, our girls were uneasy and made the "scared chick" peep constantly.

It was a very busy day for us, but we took some time to handfeed our girls some poultry treat and love them up a little. (the "big" pullets like to be held and petted by me; the silkies like to be cuddled by my wife). They're still worried, but I don't think they're scared anymore. If something is making your chickens nervous, perhaps a little personal attention may help them, too!

Here's a pic of them enjoying their poultry treat.

97838_handfeeding_hens_001.jpg

From left to right, Nickie, Penny, Rachel, and McNugget.

We love our pullets!

Thank you! They were much happier when I checked them this morning. We hope they can go out today; they're getting antsy!

awww. they look like they got the reassurance they needed. i wish i had done that yesterday or had pulled my girls up to the garage coop.

last night when things settled down i went out to check on mine and one of my 5 month old faverolles pullets wasn't on her normal perch for the night. so i brought her into the house to watch her. think she hit her head running into a wall in the coop or got hurt by one of my other hens or a turkey in the commotion of being cooped up, so she wasn't acting like her normal self.

she seemed a little off but she ate and drank when i got her in the house but she didn't run from the dog when he came over to inspect her. this morning i found her thrashing in the pen i put her in and when i was holding her to keep her calm she passed away.
hit.gif
i wish i had brought her in yesterday morning when i thought she would have been picked on being stuck in the coop all day. she was pretty low on the pecking order and always tried to stay away from the others. she would even stay away from me unless i had treats for her, and even then she would give me a quick peck on the hand to give her space! she will be missed!

Chickie'sMoma :

i wish i had done that yesterday or had pulled my girls up to the garage coop.

last night when things settled down i went out to check on mine and one of my 5 month old faverolles pullets wasn't on her normal perch for the night. so i brought her into the house to watch her. think she hit her head running into a wall in the coop or got hurt by one of my other hens or a turkey in the commotion of being cooped up, so she wasn't acting like her normal self.

she seemed a little off but she ate and drank when i got her in the house but she didn't run from the dog when he came over to inspect her. this morning i found her thrashing in the pen i put her in and when i was holding her to keep her calm she passed away.
hit.gif
i wish i had brought her in yesterday morning when i thought she would have been picked on being stuck in the coop all day. she was pretty low on the pecking order and always tried to stay away from the others. she would even stay away from me unless i had treats for her, and even then she would give me a quick peck on the hand to give her space! she will be missed!

I'm so sorry about your loss. It's a little scary how quickly chickens become a beloved part of one's family. At least she passed while being cared for by someone who loves her.​

Back
Top Bottom