Rebuilding my Farm

Just read through this entire thread. Wow! What a story. I have 11 chickens, from three different places at different times and didn't follow quarantine protocol or anything so I'm counting myself lucky. I will definitely be much more careful if I add more this spring! If? Who am I kidding....WHEN.

Yeah ... nearly forgot what brought me to this entertaining thread in the first place. And, yes, you got lucky (so far as you can tell )-;~

Same problem here -- the word "if" really doesn't have much use, when it comes to my ignoring good logic as to the number of birds I'll likely end up w/ on this farm.

Well, the 20 acre land right next to us has been sold to a lawyer who will be building not one but 2 houses! I have been wanting to buy it for 10+ years, but did not have the money. Now, I am forced to realized that I can't stay in this beautiful place on limited land size of 5 acres for my farm. So, with my parents help, I am farmland hunting for my future farm. Its exciting, yet scary and sad time for me as I have been living here for 20 years. But I know that God has a perfect farm for me out there. Just have to have faith in God.
Plus, I have until March 14th to take down all the cow fencing, and the portable chicken coops that are frozen in the ground that the previous owner had let me put up on his land for free. That will be a lot of work in short amount of time. *groans*

So, in a few months to a year when I have found "The one". I will be changing my title "Rebuilding my farm" to "Moving my farm" Yup, it will be a lot of work for me in times ahead.

Well, the 20 acre land right next to us has been sold to a lawyer who will be building not one but 2 houses! I have been wanting to buy it for 10+ years, but did not have the money. Now, I am forced to realized that I can't stay in this beautiful place on limited land size of 5 acres for my farm. So, with my parents help, I am farmland hunting for my future farm. Its exciting, yet scary and sad time for me as I have been living here for 20 years. But I know that God has a perfect farm for me out there. Just have to have faith in God.
Plus, I have until March 14th to take down all the cow fencing, and the portable chicken coops that are frozen in the ground that the previous owner had let me put up on his land for free. That will be a lot of work in short amount of time. *groans*

So, in a few months to a year when I have found "The one". I will be changing my title "Rebuilding my farm" to "Moving my farm" Yup, it will be a lot of work for me in times ahead.

I find myself in a similar situation over in Rockford, where they are building 12 baseball diamonds very near our home. Not looking forward to the light pollution and noise of screaming fans. Spring 2015 is when they will start holding games and I hope to be out of here by then to a bigger yard with room for more chickens. :)

pop.gif

I find myself in a similar situation over in Rockford, where they are building 12 baseball diamonds very near our home. Not looking forward to the light pollution and noise of screaming fans. Spring 2015 is when they will start holding games and I hope to be out of here by then to a bigger yard with room for more chickens. :)

12 baseball diamonds???? That is crazy! Nuttier than a pancake!

I am still looking for a farm, but need to wait until I have enough for down payment first, and when the time is right. Right now, farmland prices are on all time high, and the housing market is really hopping and prices are high too. But eventually the market will crash again, and the housing and farmland prices will fall again, and many farm and homes will be foreclosed, then I will be able to afford to buy a large farm, which I may only need to wait for a year or two. I would like to get a farm that have no less than 50 acres and up to about 200 acres, with several large old wooden barns.

Meanwhile, I have been hatching chicks and poults and selling them and hatching eggs too. It could be better. But all of my birds are doing well, no illness so far! Woot!

I have 17 pigs now, but just sold 5 and hopefully 2 more will go today, then I will have 10 pigs left. I am trying to get down to just my breeder hogs which is 6 of them, the remaining 4 will be butchered next week Tuesday along with the two steers. Since we got cut short on pastureland, the steers have to be slaughtered earlier than planned, so the pasture can provide enough grass for Bella, Maybelle, 2 goats and 6 hogs. I am going to reseed the pasture since it did not do well during last year's drought. Its just a dirt field with some weeds. I will seed it in a couple days before we get more rain. Boy, we got soo much rain in the last few weeks! Our basement flooded for the first time we lived here for 20 years!!!

Bella is doing well, and is almost 6 months along!!! 3 more months to go!!! I had to dry her off earlier than planned on April 1st, instead May 1st, for she got into the steer's bread feed and pigged out, as the result of that she got the runs. She was sick for a few days, so I just quit milking her.

Got a pure guernsey calf!!! Drove 157 miles to get her, and my best friend went with me and got one for himself. My calf is staying at my friend's farm as I do not have enough space for her, but maybe will bring her home next year after we get her bred.

I named my calf Willow, and the cow behind them is Bella's mother

12 baseball diamonds???? That is crazy! Nuttier than a pancake!

I am still looking for a farm, but need to wait until I have enough for down payment first, and when the time is right. Right now, farmland prices are on all time high, and the housing market is really hopping and prices are high too. But eventually the market will crash again, and the housing and farmland prices will fall again, and many farm and homes will be foreclosed, then I will be able to afford to buy a large farm, which I may only need to wait for a year or two. I would like to get a farm that have no less than 50 acres and up to about 200 acres, with several large old wooden barns.

Meanwhile, I have been hatching chicks and poults and selling them and hatching eggs too. It could be better. But all of my birds are doing well, no illness so far! Woot!

I have 17 pigs now, but just sold 5 and hopefully 2 more will go today, then I will have 10 pigs left. I am trying to get down to just my breeder hogs which is 6 of them, the remaining 4 will be butchered next week Tuesday along with the two steers. Since we got cut short on pastureland, the steers have to be slaughtered earlier than planned, so the pasture can provide enough grass for Bella, Maybelle, 2 goats and 6 hogs. I am going to reseed the pasture since it did not do well during last year's drought. Its just a dirt field with some weeds. I will seed it in a couple days before we get more rain. Boy, we got soo much rain in the last few weeks! Our basement flooded for the first time we lived here for 20 years!!!

Bella is doing well, and is almost 6 months along!!! 3 more months to go!!! I had to dry her off earlier than planned on April 1st, instead May 1st, for she got into the steer's bread feed and pigged out, as the result of that she got the runs. She was sick for a few days, so I just quit milking her.

Got a pure guernsey calf!!! Drove 157 miles to get her, and my best friend went with me and got one for himself. My calf is staying at my friend's farm as I do not have enough space for her, but maybe will bring her home next year after we get her bred.

I named my calf Willow, and the cow behind them is Bella's mother

Beautiful calf. Look at that face!
Thank you for the update on buying land, as I was wondering how that was going. Here, land prices aren't so high, as the economy hit this area pretty hard. You have to be happy with a LOT of moisture though. It truly is a temperate rainforest, with EVERYTHING turning green, or rotting, or rusting eventually. Fun!

You sell Icelandic chicks, yes?

Beautiful calf. Look at that face! 
Thank you for the update on buying land, as I was wondering how that was going.  Here,  land prices aren't so high, as the economy hit this area pretty hard.  You have to be happy with a LOT of moisture though.  It truly is a temperate rainforest, with EVERYTHING turning green, or rotting, or rusting eventually.  Fun! 

You sell Icelandic chicks, yes?

Thanks, Willow is beautiful calf.
I went to my friend's farm to help fix his fencing, and we put a halter and a rope on our calves and took them outside, and they had a blast. Willow liked to run and I could hardly keep up with her. lol It was fun.

My friend's cows and calf

My Bella

I plan on staying in West Michigan, as it rarely get too hot as I can't handle the heat too well, nor it rarely gets too cold. Also we get enough moisture to grow things here, with an exception of last year's drought. The last time we had a drought like that was in '88 the year I was born.

Yes, I sell Icelandic chicks. I had ordered shipping boxes for chicks and birds, so I can ship them to anyone that want them. I am also getting the rest of my flock tested on Friday to be NPIP certified this Friday.

Back
Top Bottom