Received my box of dying chicks today!!

rainbowgardens

Songster
11 Years
Nov 19, 2008
Central Virginia
This is my second year of ordering chicks. Last year they all arrived healthy and energetic.

Todays box was sent on Monday and arrived this morning. When we opened it we found three already dead. Since then, three more have died and others look like they are gasping for breath.

I ordered 35 chicks. They were sent in a box that was twice the size as when I ordered 25 chicks last year. The box had a divider down it keeping them separated. They had more space than last years shipment, so they couldn't have been crowded.

Could it have been the heat? I ordered from Meyer in Ohio, I believe, and I live in central Virginia. We have been having temps in the 80's and low 90's. I haven't contacted the hatchery yet since I'm waiting for the final death count.

Any ideas what could have happened?

Most likely stress from shipment.Did you give them some sugar water? That should kick start the rest remaining.So sorry to hear your troubles
hugs.gif

If you just got them today, it sounds like they took longer than they should have to arrive. The little guys were probably starving and thirsty, as they only do well for the first two days living off of the yolk after they hatched.

I'm really sorry you are having this problem. I'm kind of a newbie, but I would really try to get them drinking and eating what they can and I would stay with them and try to nurse them back to health as much as I could. I'm sure someone else more experienced on this forum can give you other ideas, too.

Did you open the box at the Post Office by any chance? The postal worker should have then documented the condition of the chicks, so you can be refunded some money or receive more chicks from Meyer.

Definitely let Meyer know, too. It could be the chicks were delayed at a post office along the way, and that's not acceptable when it's a live parcel of chicks.

I really hope the rest survive for you. Please keep us posted.

I would not wait; I would call Meyer today. McMurray did not ask for PO documentation when I lost several in shipping.

I'll go call Meyer now.

I have been dipping all of the survivor's beaks in water every half-hour. Many choose to drink on their own. I pay extra attention to the panting/gasping ones and give them extra dips.

Why don't hatcheries offer overnight express? At least, I never saw it offered by Meyers.

I called Meyers and they were very cooperative. They gave me the option of getting my money refunded or doing a re-ship.

They said it was probably just shipping stress.

I asked about shipping overnight, and they said they didn't do that.

I guess I'll go do another beak dip.

I lost 21 of 25 from Meyer that were boxed Monday the 20th but I didn't get until the 23rd. I say boxed because the post mark was the 21st though Meyers sticker said the 20th.

I had 10 still alive on arrival, but 6 past despite all my attempts to keep them going.

My replacements are supposed to ship May 11th. I am holding off judgement until those arrive. I'm easily angered when it comes to my animals, even ones I don't have yet, so I'm trying not to be negative about a mistake. Other posters here have gotten chicks fast and health, so I'm keepign my fingers crossed.

Back
Top Bottom