Received my box of dying chicks today!!

Oh my goodness thats terrible..there should be special circimstances for animas being delievered!!...P's me off...I am very funny over my animals..even if they are not mine...i use to have horses at a shared barn and ill tell ya some ppl did not like me because i told them the truth..for instances..2 ppl had 2 horse and never let them out...never cleaned their stall(poor things) and only came and fed them once a day...even in 100 degree weather..one bucket of water in that heat isnt enough in 24 hours...gosh! But hey im for the animals..they count on us..I SURE WISH YOU LUCK!!
let us know when they get there...

There are some hatcheries that ship express. When I ordered I paid the extra to get them faster. We live in Florida nd I didn't want them laying around in all the heat. Check out some other hatcheries and you will see they do ship express.

It would not take long for the peeps to fry if left in a hot truck or in the sun when it is so hot out. I recently tangled with the post office and they don't seem to be responsible for anything.
So sorry for the little ones...it had to be hard on them.

I'm so sorry for your troubles and what these poor babies have been through.

I just received two 17 week old mille's from My Pet Chicken shipped on Monday in this horrible heat. Because they were older, I was scared witless that they wouldn't survive the shipping. I received them Wednesday morning, stressed but doing well.

I went into my local post office Tuesday afternoon, they called our nearest city's postal hub and tried to get them in asap. There were special instructions at the city hub that the second they came in via Express Mail that they were to be brought inside until the very last second and loaded on the truck last. It took a lot of help from my little tiny local post office, who went above and beyond calling and arranging, but it worked out for the best.

Maybe when your next shipment is due you could try the same thing. It seems that when they have a worried "mom" standing in front of them, it makes an impact and at least here, they postmistress tried everything she could to assure the babies came in okay.

Good Luck with your remaining babies - I'll be sending strong chickie thoughts your way
smile.png

I had actually split this order with a friend who is doing chickens for the first time. This has been very traumatic for her.

All of my remaining chicks, but one, appear to be doing well. One is still gasping. I smooshed up some egg yolk and watered it down and have been feeding it to her through an eye dropper. She wasn't drinking at all on her own.

She seems to have more energy now and her gasping is shallower, but more often now. Don't know if that's a good sign or bad. She also never lays down. It seems as if laying down makes it harder to breathe. I don't know how long she can go without sleep.

It's bedtime for me, but I'm sure I'll be getting up to dose her again.
Thanks for all the sympathy!

Poor chickies
I would call Meyer and tell them - I think I saw a post someone had some chicks die in transit from Meyer and she was given new chicks ,
Good luck

I so sorry to hear about your losses. Weather this past year has been freakish. It seems we have turned back in time for all the season have reset to 2 months early. This past week is was abnormally hot and I know those mail truck are not ACed that come doen from other states. When I placed my order with Mt Healthy I tried to get in at a good time but my will not come till next month. I would never order from a hatchery that was really far away for the chicks spend to much time in those trucks. I know someone mentioned here that they live in Orgon but are ordering from Ohio that crasy with this heat the way it is now. Good luck to all of us waiting on chicks.

Back
Top Bottom