Received Too Many Baby Chicks in my "Small Order"

Do Something Farm

Hatching
9 Years
Aug 3, 2010
I ordered three baby Light Brahma chicks from Nature's Hatchery, and paid for their special small order box. I actually received 10 chicks, and there wasn't anything "special" about the box that I could see. Three of the chicks look like photos I've seen of Light Brahmas, and I think there are two Dark Brahmas in the batch, plus maybe a Rhode Island Red, a Barred Rock, and three totally unknown. Since my city won't allow any more than three chickens I now need to find homes for the extras.

Since the 7 extra chicks were probably thrown in to keep my three chicks warm, the extras are probably all cockerels - which makes the job of giving them away even more difficult. I'll head to the local county fair tomorrow and see if I can find a chicken-raising kid who'll take them off my hands.

I sent an email to the hatchery to find out if this is the standard way for them to ship a small order of chicks, but I have not yet received a response. Has anyone else encountered this problem? If I had an actual farm, I wouldn't mind feeding them until old enough for the freezer, but I can't do that in my city.

Since I've never seen a Light Brahma chick in person, I'm worried that I'll give away the chicks I actually ordered. I think they're the light gray ones at the far left and far right in the picture below (one of the chicks is outside the shot). Am I right?
chicks.jpg

First of all...
welcome-byc.gif
. Yes, it's really common for them to add "Packing Peanuts" that are males. Your Light Brahmas should have feathers going down their legs & be light in color (i.e. - they won't be the black or reddish one). Hope that helps.

Wow, that's a bummer. I think you are right about the Light Brahmas. It also looks like you were right about the Dark Brahmas, top right and next to your Light Brahma. Maybe Buff Orpingtons, as well? I'm curious about the chick with the dark spot on the head. I have no idea.

Don't feel bad. I have 7 Buff Orpingtons males to re-home. Same situation.

If you were in Texas, I'd take the Dark Brahmas off your hands. I have really enjoyed my little girls!

Good luck!

I don't know what to tell you about your "small order" extras, but I do know that I have a light brahma roo that was completely white (actually yellow) when I got him at the feed store (out of the pullet bin!). He looked like your chick second from the top right and the bottom right of your photo. And he had feathers on his legs and feet.

i can for sure till you that the black one is a BR Roo a BR hen has a small white spot on the top of the head and the males have a large bright yellow spot on their heads and by the pic it look to be a roo

Thanks, everyone. The little gray chicks do have feathers on their legs, and so do the darker gray ones that are probably Dark Brahmas. Now I know for sure which ones to try to give away. I live in eastern Oregon. The fair starts tomorrow, and I'm hoping one of the kids will take the little guys off my hands.

It seems that a hatchery that advertises small order service should know that extra chicks could cause some problems for urban "chicken farmers," like me. They should say on their site that you'll get more chickens than you order. But if it's standard hatchery procedure, they probably assume that everyone already knows.

thankfully I have ordered twice from mypetchicken.com and they have NEVER sent packing peanuts (and that's stated on the website). Of course, you have to pay extra for express mail for small orders, but that's ok - they arrive in one day and that's better for the chicks.
smile.png

The little yellow chick with black spots looks alot like my Mottled Java's did when they were babies. The all black with white spot on it's head, wonder what that is.

Back
Top Bottom