Received Too Many Baby Chicks in my "Small Order"

They will not send the extras if you purchase extra shipping insurance or pay to have them sent Express. I would rather have the extras - they are free and the shipping is MUCH cheep-er. You can look for a good home for the extras by posting a free ad on Craigslist or Ebay Classifieds.

Actually, I paid extra for the small order. The total freight for my three little chicks was over $36.00. That's why I was so surprised that they used extra chicks instead of the special heating pad I thought I paid for. Still no reply from my email to the hatchery - if I find out why I got the extras, I'll post it here.

Extra chicks would be great if I didn't live where I do. I'd love to be able to raise a flock of chicks for the freezer, but we just recently got a new ordinance that allows the three laying hens. We couldn't legally have any chickens in the city until this year.

The black one with white spot is probably a barred rock, as another poster suggested. The white with black spots is much smaller than the other chicks, and remains a mystery.

I ALWAYS read the fine print - that's usually where you find out this much needed information. I have personally never ordered from that particular hatchery. Look on the bright side, maybe you will be able to find them good homes where as the hatchery would have just probably culled them. I wish you luck, I would take them, but I've got 50+ chickens of my own.

The brahamas are soooooo beautiful, please post more pictures as they grow~!

Quote:
I, too, ordered from MyPetChicken.com and received exactly what I ordered. I would much rather pay the extra for shipping than have to rehome a chicken I grew fond of. They were 100% accurate on the pullets, too.
smile.png

Just as an update, I spoke with the hatchery this afternoon and they said they almost always throw in extra birds on small orders. The special box I paid for is only used if you specifically ask them to use it instead of sending extra chicks - a policy that doesn't appear to be posted anywhere obvious on their website. The gentleman said this is the first time anyone had a problem with that policy, since most people get mad if they don't get extras. And he also said the extras are always pullets, which may make it easier to give the extras away. Even if it isn't strictly true, I can always say that's what I was told.

Quote:
I'm in Baker City today and heading home. I could take them off your hands if you can get here within a couple hours. Bring some feed if you do, cause I have no way to buy any until I get home.

Dang - I won't be able to drive down to Baker City. Sorry. But I'm sure you'll find some chicks when you get home (and you won't have to mess with the babies on your trip).

The fellow at the local feed store is going to ask around. He said he had a customer last week who wanted just a few chicks, and he couldn't order less than 25. She's here in La Grande, so keep your fingers crossed for me.

WOW, there's just NO WAY you can keep them??? Even if they turn out to be pullets? Where I live I can have whatever in any amount. I guess I should appreciate that! Gosh, they sure are beautiful!

The tiny chicken house I made could only hold four hens, at most. Plus, several local citizens went to a lot of work last year to get the ordinance changed. Before that, it wasn't legal to have any chickens in town, (but anyone who wanted chickens just went ahead and got some anyway). Ignoring the law is still optional - one of my neighbors had a rooster until the day before July 4 (I miss hearing him crow). Still, I wouldn't want to irritate my chicken-less neighbors by filling my yard with 10 grown hens. The neighbors have been very patient with all the non-traditional projects on my side of the fence, but I don't want to push it.

Besides, how many eggs can one person eat, anyway? Three chickens sounds like a perfect number to me. Although I might keep one of those Dark Brahmas. And one of the yellow chicks is getting some interesting color on her wing feathers. Any guesses about what kind of chicken she'll turn into?

yellow-chick.jpg

Back
Top Bottom