Recent newspaper article, read and add your INTELLIGENT comment

Sunny Side Up

Count your many blessings...
11 Years
Mar 12, 2008
Loxahatchee, Florida
Last edited:
I was able to read the article from your link and I posted a supportive comment. We received a special permit to have our backyard chickens (5 hens, no rooster) last fall...we had several appearances in our local paper during the THREE months it took for our request to be granted. The delay was all because of one neighbor who pulled out every concern in the book! Our city council consulted authorities such as the health dept, DNR, university prof. specializing in agriculture, etc, etc, etc and each protest was proven to be only ignorance. It was crazy how much publicity we received in our local paper and we too had some nasty comments on our articles as well. But we did have many supporters...so I was happy to have the chance to show my support.
wink.png
Good luck Lake Worth Chickens!!!!

I am really amazed at the rabidly angry tone of the objecting posts. Is this typical of the kind of reactions people get when trying to get backyard chickens legalized, or is this just an unusually venomous group of nay-sayers?

Your city's anti chicken inhabitants have ugly, ignorant words... I am so suprized they directed their chicken hate to illegals! I don't support illegal immigration, but I do think many illegal and legal latin americans have a good understanding/appreciation of&for the usefulness of animals...though they are not alone as a culture in their sentiments or connection with useful animals. I did comment under the name Judy on page 6... those people against sound so willfully ignorant and unintelligent, can't they see that? I just want to move to the country now...get away from that type...yuck.

The link above should work, it just connected me to the right place. I think it's just human nature that when a person can say something anonymously to others they cannot see, they feel more liberty to be cruel & ugly. That, along with ignorance of the facts and fear of the unknown, is making these folks reply as they are. That's why I posted, so that knowledgeable BYCers could add a tone of sanity to that list of comments. This makes me all the more grateful for the well-moderated format of BYC, that keeps it helpful & friendly on our forum.

Okay, I just spent the last half hour clicking the "report abuse" button on the most offensive responses on that article, it seems they've taken a few of them off, yay! There probably won't be many more, the most were probably added the day that article was published. Lake Worth is an older suburb of West Palm Beach, recently there's been some nice revitilization going on, and also there's a sizeable population of recent immigrants living there too. So that causes a problem for some folks there, and I guess the chicken thing is pushing their buttons. Plus all the usual fun of small-town politics.

I think you can still add a comment if you wish, it might be nice to fill it once again with something positive. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom