recipes for duck eggs?

sloper74

In the Brooder
13 Years
Jan 13, 2007
Our chickens have stopped laying but our ducks are really going strong. I usually use duck eggs in breakfast casseroles, egg drop soup, and for baking. Anyone else have some good recipes specifically for duck eggs? I can't eat them fried (too oily) or in scrambled eggs (strange texture). Love some advice...

my best advice is more of a joke. put them on the counter and show your friends that your chickens lay such eggs they can't even fit in the egg carton. lol.

I didn't know a duck egg would be oily. Nor did I realize that there would be a texture difference. I always thought it would just be bigger and maybe taste a bit different. The things you learn on this site...
big_smile.png

Quote:
My duck's eggs don't really taste any different -"richer" maybe- but there is a definite difference in texture when fried, boiled, or scrambled. The whites are much more firm, and dare I say, rubbery.
hmm.png
I do usually add one or two duck egg yolks to my regular chicken eggs when I make scramble eggs though, just because I have way too many duck eggs! Who told these girls to lay an egg every day?!

I use my duck eggs for anything baked or cooked (I use chicken eggs for when I want to eat eggs), I usually give my dog a raw duck egg every other morning or so with her kibbles, and all the duck eggs that don't get used up I hard-boil and feed to the chickens and ducks.

The "10 Egg Pound Cake" recipe here (use the search feature) is really delicious and will use a lot of eggs -though I would measure the eggs before adding them since 9 of my duck eggs equaled a pound (as opposed to 10 chicken eggs). Of course, with the way my four ducks lay I could make one of those cakes every two or three days! Not exactly good for the figure, LOL.
lol.png

thanks, I'll try that search. Right now, we're giving them away to folks to use in baking. You really can't beat a chicken egg for "just eggs." I agree about the rubbery texture, I just scrambled some, and that's exactly how they taste.

I use a dozen of them in breakfast casserole recipe for church potluck, but that's the only way to use them in bulk.

they are much better layers than any of my chickens ever were! Wish they would go broody though....

I like duck eggs any which way---I don't think they're rubbery or oily at all...I especially like them (barely) hard boiled-

Duck eggs do make the fluffiest pancakes though....the trick is to separate the egg whites---make the batter as usual, whisk the whites until frothy, then _stir_ them into the batter just before you cook them.

Have fun!
Sandra

Back
Top Bottom