Recipes for the sick...

We're all pulling for you Elizabeth. It seems the East Coast of the United States (where I now live) is really getting hit with more snow and colder temperatures than in some time. My Mom lives in Chicago and it seems they are about to get hit with quite a blizzard - worse than the one of January 1967, which I vividly remember.

Take care and do post when you can, lots of people pulling for you and praying for you.

See if you can find some Hydralyte at a local Chemist it will get your electrolyte levels back up if your having tummy problems.

chicken soup, saladas, lemonade seem to help me when im not feeling 100%
chicken and barley soup.

1 cup (200g) barley
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 medium (300g) onions, chopped
1 large (500g) leek, chopped
3 sticks celery, trimmed, chopped
1 large (180g) carrot, chopped
1 large (350g) parsnip, chopped
1 small (250g) sweet potato, chopped
2 medium (400g) potatoes, chopped
1 medium (225g) swede, chopped ( i leave that out cause i dont like the taste of it)
2 litres (8 cups) salt-reduced chicken stock
1 litre (4 cups) water
4 (800g) chicken thigh fillets, chopped finely
½ cup coarsely chopped parsley
METHOD

Place the barley in a large bowl. Cover with cold water, stand for 4 hours or overnight.( if you can find the barely that doesnt need soaking you dont need to leave it overnight i think its in a blue? packet)

Heat oil in a large stockpot; cook onion, leek, celery and carrot, stirring, until softened. Add remaining vegetables, stock and water then bring to the boil. Add chicken and drained barley, simmer, loosely covered, about 1½ hours or until thickened.

Just before serving, season the soup with salt and pepper and stir in parsley.

Suitable to freeze.

Not suitable to microwave.(reheat in pot on stove) i still microwave it anyway lol

Last edited:
Aww thanks everyone. I still have a slight stomach bug but I'm keeping things down now. A bit nauseated but I've been fixing that up with natural remedies, so it's been alright.

As for the floods and stuff, I admit it, I'm putting my blinders on right now. I just had to. I'm one of the few people who are still out there volunteering. Sometimes I'm the only volunteer. All I can think as these storms come into our coast is, "What if nobody is here to help the second time?" The thought makes me very sad so I just work, like I said, with blinders on. I have been making a point to only focus on the task-at-hand with all this stuff. I got chemical burn the other day from the clean up which I think damaged my lungs a bit which I don't think is helping much either. What happened is very sad and very tragic and I really, at the moment, can't handle the thought of it happening again.

Though I have some friends in Cairns I am worried about. Mostly a friend of mine who taught me how to race motorbikes. He's there now. I hope he'll be safe. But he's a tough bugger, ain't no worrying I can do that'll protect him.

I think my heart is too soft for this sort of thing.

Sounds like your doing as well as can be expected, better than I would be doing in your place. Keep us updated and make sure you let us know that your ok.

Humm... I know what it is... You've eaten some of that Vegemite that they changed up on the recipe.

lol.png

Sorry to hear your under the weather.. Hope you get feeling better soon!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom