Recommendations for a fan and mister?

Thanks for the suggestion with the ice block! That's a smart idea. I'll probably have both that and a mister because it does get very hot here (it was 106 today).
It’s worth a shot! Maybe they will love it. Just be sure they have a way to get out of the spray and still be in a safe, shady/cooler place, in case they hate the water.

You can freeze water in milk jugs. Put them back in the freezer after a rinse and re-use. Worked great when I lived in the desert with 110 degree heat. Also provide wading pools. I use large shallow dog water bowls.

Hey everyone! We're transitioning our chicks to their outdoor 8x8 coop this weekend, but live in a hot climate where temperatures in the summer range 90-100 degrees nearly every day, so we'd like to get a fan for the coop and a fan/mister for the run to help keep them cool. We've done quite a bit of research into it, but there are just so many options that we're feeling a little overwhelmed. Does anyone have any recommendations for fans and misters that they find particularly effective? Our preference would be a tank mister as the nearest water hookup is quite far away. I've noticed the chicks don't really start panting until around the 85/86 degree mark, so we'd ideally like to have something that cools the air around 15-20 degrees.

We were looking particularly at this MaxxAir one or this even higher powered MaxAir one from Tractor Supply - has anyone ever used these? They don't have many reviews online.

If anyone has any additional cooling tips, that'd be great too. I plan on getting a small kiddie pool that they can cool their feet in, providing frozen treats, and wetting the dirt a bit where I can.
👋 Serotonin: great QUESTIONS/bird health for thought. We are in ETexas, heat wave this year after 10 years with lots of poultry. In the firstAidPoultry books they say NO MISTING: we have never. Heat is bad for us but all poultry regulate their temperatures with water or greenery. What I started doing was putting a frozen water bottle in their 5 gallon water jug and replace 2x during the day to keep the water cooler not cold. That’was April-August, we are out of that heat wave now so no frozen bottles to add. As far as a fan, these creatures are very amazing: historical the first generation poultry were raised in So. California so no water no fans & they had thousands of birds. PERSONALLY our flocks go inside their runs on their own or under the trees if they are hot or scratch down deep making a bowl to dust: your girls n Roos if you have a he will be fine. “PROMISE”, or read the FirstAid book on poultry. 🙏🏻God speed dear

Back
Top Bottom