Recommendations for cost effective coop + run

What you're looking at, I'd put max 3 in there. I bought that exact coop, never added the nest box and decided to use it for baby chicks only. It's good that you have dogs, they really help keep predators away. Also a flood light at night. The Coops section really is a great place to get ideas about upcycling. I started out with an old dog house. The more chickens you get, the more you need to expand. I went from zero construction skills to a 112ft. Coop over the years. It's not really that hard unless you look at complex plans and schematics, lol. https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/categories/chicken-coops.12/ Good Luck!!
Thank you to the link for the article!! I had a couple chickens when I was a child, but am new to learning about ownership as an adult!! I’m also new to the site, and didn’t see the articles, so will be going down a rabbit hole to learn more! I did just get a tax refund, so have a little extra cash for my set up!! lol!

I’d like 4 chickens.

I do plan to offer supervised free range time during the day!

I’m open to a bigger coop, too! Chain link, and the material of the kennel I sent previously looked to be more predator proof than what I’ve seen on other runs. Is that true?
Assuming 4 standard birds you want a minimum of 40 sq ft in the run + 16 sq ft in the coop not including nests - not all birds will do well with minimums and behavioral issues are harder to fix than to simple prevent so it's always recommended to go bigger if possible. I'd pick either Silkies or standard/ giants, as it's best to not mix types without a lot more space as bullying issues might be more pronounced. Occasional free ranging does not make up for being cooped up the rest of the time.

The reality is if you have raccoons, rats, weasels, or snakes... those are all things that can breach chain link or large opening welded wire. I have a chain link run and the bottom 2' is covered in hardware cloth to prevent raccoon reach through, but rats do occasionally climb in. But I'm aware I don't have a predator proof run and the chickens are locked up at night.

Assuming 4 standard birds you want a minimum of 40 sq ft in the run + 16 sq ft in the coop not including nests - not all birds will do well with minimums and behavioral issues are harder to fix than to simple prevent so it's always recommended to go bigger if possible. I'd pick either Silkies or standard/ giants, as it's best to not mix types without a lot more space as bullying issues might be more pronounced. Occasional free ranging does not make up for being cooped up the rest of the time.

The reality is if you have raccoons, rats, weasels, or snakes... those are all things that can breach chain link or large opening welded wire. I have a chain link run and the bottom 2' is covered in hardware cloth to prevent raccoon reach through, but rats do occasionally climb in. But I'm aware I don't have a predator proof run and the chickens are locked up at night.
All great to know!! It’s really helpful to have the numbers to refer to. I’ve scrapped previous plans, and am looking at larger coops, and runs!

I would recommend you take a look at fellow North Carolinian @fuzzi 's build thread:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/fuzzis-chicken-journal.1550586/page-56#post-26819925

Hoop coops are certainly a great combination of cost, simplicity, and predator protection (when wrapped in hardware cloth). I think that's especially true for 6 or less chickens.
Thanks for the recommendation @Krugerrand !

Howdy @remingtonleigh , glad you joined us here at BYC. I'm in Pitt County, east of Raleigh. I had minimal skills when I built my hoop coop last year, did learn a bit. The coop's been fairly secure, just had a couple snakes get in where I had missed a gap. No harm was done, gaps fixed.

What I love about the hoop coop is its simplicity, relative low cost, and how it is cooler in our hot NC summers.

Ask me any questions you have about it.

IMG_20240322_120351145_HDR~2.jpg

March 2024

Thanks for the recommendation @Krugerrand !

Howdy @remingtonleigh , glad you joined us here at BYC. I'm in Pitt County, east of Raleigh. I had minimal skills when I built my hoop coop last year, did learn a bit. The coop's been fairly secure, just had a couple snakes get in where I had missed a gap. No harm was done, gaps fixed.

What I love about the hoop coop is its simplicity, relative low cost, and how it is cooler in our hot NC summers.

Ask me any questions you have about it.

View attachment 3805978
March 2024
Thank you for the share!! I’ll definitely explore the thread posted. 🙂

I love your coop!!

Hi again! Before purchasing anything, I’d love feedback on brands / set ups! I’m not great at building things, so the simpler, the better. I’d also like to stay under $500, if possible!

I was planning to get a dog kennel, adding a roof, and then having a coop inside!

There are *lots* of predators around, so please feel free to add any predator proofing tips!
For a run only?

Back
Top Bottom