Recommendations Needed Please

TommyVT05

Songster
11 Years
Feb 6, 2008
Southern California
Hello all,

OK, so by the end of this week, I will need to brood the chicks myself this time. So, for the light-heat, what should I use? Should I get the normal yellow light heat bulb, the red bulb, or the ceramic bulb that produces only heat but no light?

I was thinking of the ceramic bulb or the red bulb because it’s easier on their eyes to sleep @ night...right?

I would prefer the ceramic because the chicks can sleep well at night while being kept warm.

How’s that?

big_smile.png

- Tommy

I prefer the red heat bulb...they sleep better, less picking and it is easier on me at night also. I had to use a clear bulb recently and they were loud and did not sleep well with it on.

Last edited:
I agree if you want to sleep at night your chicks need a red bulb. At first the white light didnt keep them up but as they got older they stay up and as someone posted "partied all night" Once I switched to red they settled down to sleep at night. So like the slave to my chickens that I am, they had white during the day and red at night.

So I got 3 red, 1 white, and 1 ceramic...

Hummm. I like what I hear from everyone but ceramic is quite expensive now I that I have looked more into it. They are like $25 versus $5 red bulb of the same wattage
barnie.gif

I have to brood the chicks in my room to make sure all are fine and that I can keep a close watch on them but if they gonna stay up and "party"...imma go insane! Haha

So, will chicks sleep well with red bulbs overall? Like, the light that says "Go to sleep?"

big_smile.png

-Tommy

I got regular white bulbs. I friend of mine down home in Ky had a cool idea. Well her boyfriend did. She was at work and the light of the brooder that was located in the bedroom went out. Her BF took a blacklight lightbulb (got it at the Wallyworld halloween area) and put it in. Its really cool because thereis heat output , not a lot of light at night and the three white polish and five cochins glow at night. It is Cool!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
I have a 250 watt red bulb... I heard that the if there was any blood (like mine had on her wing) the red would help the picking at it. I treated her, and I do think the red bulb worked great! Mine wasn't very expensive ~ be careful those suckers are hot, and I've already had a 3rd degree burn chasing one of my chicks~

I brood with a 250 red heat lamp. My chicks are on my side porch in an enclosed brooder box with the lamp outside pointing down through the top. I use the 250 watt because the outdoor temps are cooler than my indoor temps and that bulb keeps them at a perfect temp. They don't crowd or pile or bunch up. They spread out and use the enitre brooder floor to sleep.

Back
Top Bottom