Recommendations Needed Please

Thanks for all the great feedback on the red light. My 4 week olds are sleeping in the coop at night with a 100 watt over them but they do seem to party at night. I sometimes sneak out to peek at them before I go to bed about 11 p.m. and they are having a blast! I know they are not to cold just so happy to be alive I think. I am going to go get a red flood light at Walmart tomorrow. I hope that will help to put them to bed at night. They are doing well in the coop at night and in the last 2 days they have gained freedom to the outside world in the run. I was worried as they do not have grass in the run, mostly clay and it is so hard. Today, my DH cut the lawn and I dumped one of his bags of clippings in the run and they LOVED it! They were so happy and just having a ball scratching through and finding bugs, clover and dandelions. We do not use any chemicals on our grass at all so I know it is like free ranging for them in the safety of a very secure coop and run. Thanks again for the feed back on the red light!
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
yippiechickie.gif

Yeah,

I found this thread really interesting and really helpful. Thanks everyone!
wink.png

From all the great advices, all my chicks are doing great now. I am so happy. Can't wait to bring them outside when its warmer though...its getting a little stinky in my room now.

All 25 poopin everyday? Gosh!
he.gif
Haha

What should I do?

- Tommy

I'm using a ceramic bulb. It's a little more expensive but I had it left over from another pet and it's supposed to last longer than conventional bulbs. I don't know if they really do or not but they certainly kick out heat!

One thing I forgot to mention is...its hard to tell if the ceramic bulb is still working unless you put your hand close to it. : (

I l.o.v.e. the red bulb. Keeps them warm AND quite @ night : )

- Tommy

Okay you kids all have great information and wisdom. I guess I cheaped out when I did the light thing for my girls. I went and got regular floodlight bulbs and a small can of red spray paint and made my own red lights for about 1/2 the cost of the red bulbs. They work just fine and last a long time and I never had trouble with the paint peeling either. As the girls have grown the wattage of the bulbs has gone down and now I am down to a 25 watt red party bulb that stays on just at night. They are 6 weeks old and have been living out side the whole time in the coop. Trudy
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif

Last edited:
Thats not a bad idea! Lets all do that! Haha

So...its ok to let the chicks outside @ 6 weeks old? Im thinkin of letting mines out after 4 since its pretty warm here. 60-65F @ night and a lot warmer during the day so yeah
wink.png

- Tommy

I guess it depends on the area. In CA, 250W bulb would smoke the little guys. Haha. 100W that I bought is even too much being 1 foot above ground from the little ones @ 1 week old. Haha

- Tommy

Just hatched is correct. No need for fancy bulbs. I use anywhere from a 60 watt household bulb to a 100 watt household bulb. Depending on how cool the house is. (AC and Whatnot). I put the bulb in one of those aluminum lamps with the clamp on it at Walmart. I point the bulb to one corner or put in the middle of the brooder. They have all done very well.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom