Recommended Bird(s) for 8 Year Old

Pics
A hand fed, English Budgie would be more expensive (can be up to $120!) But they come Tame, friendly and SO sweet!

My first hand-fed bird was a little Grey Cockatiel. I loved her! She picked me out at the Breeder's. This was in Kodiak, Alaska!

Glycerine stepped over a few of her siblings to get me to pick her up off the playpen.

The breeder was On Base, and excellent! They had a large Cockatoo as a pet and only a single Grey pair of Cockatiels for breeding.

They were all close-banded, hand-fed, and knew to Step-up when asked. My mum paid $80 for her.

My "second" Cockatiels were a Bonded pair. Untame. But I Tamed them and choose not to breed!

I've owned untame, baby Budgies from chain pet stores and always tamed them. They are Easy to Take IF they are under 3-months old.

All mine learned human speech.

Some of my favorite hand-fed baby birds are Lovebirds. They MUST be handd-fed and kept singlely, however.

A Budgie is a good First Bird, but I think most importantly the bird should be Hand-fed, for a child's First Bird. And only start with one. You can always get more, if you want to later on.

Why Hand-fed?

My dad was Always trying to out do my mum, and tried to buy me a bird. They were never Hand-fed and we never kept them for long --- lovebirds, and a few other medium sized Parrots. We always ended up re-homing them to Breeders considering that they were not babies, but adults. (He never understood how we choose good pets and couldn't understand Why I didn't 'like' his "pets".)

A properly hand-fed baby birds is a joy to own. But an older, adult or flighty untamed bird is a nightmare for a child.

It dont matter if a bird is tame or n
A hand fed, English Budgie would be more expensive (can be up to $120!) But they come Tame, friendly and SO sweet!

My first hand-fed bird was a little Grey Cockatiel. I loved her! She picked me out at the Breeder's. This was in Kodiak, Alaska!

Glycerine stepped over a few of her siblings to get me to pick her up off the playpen.

The breeder was On Base, and excellent! They had a large Cockatoo as a pet and only a single Grey pair of Cockatiels for breeding.

They were all close-banded, hand-fed, and knew to Step-up when asked. My mum paid $80 for her.

My "second" Cockatiels were a Bonded pair. Untame. But I Tamed them and choose not to breed!

I've owned untame, baby Budgies from chain pet stores and always tamed them. They are Easy to Take IF they are under 3-months old.

All mine learned human speech.

Some of my favorite hand-fed baby birds are Lovebirds. They MUST be handd-fed and kept singlely, however.

A Budgie is a good First Bird, but I think most importantly the bird should be Hand-fed, for a child's First Bird. And only start with one. You can always get more, if you want to later on.

Why Hand-fed?

My dad was Always trying to out do my mum, and tried to buy me a bird. They were never Hand-fed and we never kept them for long --- lovebirds, and a few other medium sized Parrots. We always ended up re-homing them to Breeders considering that they were not babies, but adults. (He never understood how we choose good pets and couldn't understand Why I didn't 'like' his "pets".)

A properly hand-fed baby birds is a joy to own. But an older, adult or flighty untamed bird is a nightmare for a child.
It don't matter if a bird is tame or not an 8year old will get bored of it and want the next new thing

It dont matter if a bird is tame or n

It don't matter if a bird is tame or not an 8year old will get bored of it and want the next new thing

At this time, he is almost 9 and, no matter where we go in town, he wants to go by the pet shop to look at the birds.... or he wants to go by the groomers shop cause she has birds.... and all he talks about is his Memere (grandmas) 2 pet cockatiels.

Believe me, he isn't *bored* with the idea of having a bird....... especially since it will be located in his room.

But I completely understand your opinion. :D

Back
Top Bottom