Recovery diet AFTER sour crop

tomumberger

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 8, 2017
I know there are already several threads for treating sour crop. I am looking specifically for diet suggestions for a hen that is recovering from sour crop, and has an appetite again. I have been giving her yogurt and chopped up hard-boiled egg. Please provide any recommendations for other things to give her, and when she can again have more solid food (e.g. corn and layer pellets).

Thanks!

Here is the diet I provide to my chickens after crop issues or general illness.

Soft food diet:
Feed some minced cooked meat protein or cooked eggs, diced fruit, diced black or red grapes, fresh greens chopped or cooked frozen mixed vegetables, cooked grains like: brown rice, wheat berries, oat groats, pearl barley. Always offer moist feed daily.

The chicken should have soft foods while healing.

If you have probiotics, give some, I use gro 2 MAX. I sprinkle a pinch on the cooked grains, fruit and vegies, for three days.

Clean fresh water daily. I like to add some echinacea tea (1 tea bag steeped 5 min., in a cup of water, then, pour into a gallon of water) or aloe vera juice (1 Tb. per gallon water), to boost the immune system.

God Bless! :)

Sour crop happens when chicken (usually chicks) eat something large (usually meat) that gets stuck in the crop and ferments there. The best way to clear Sour crop would be to feed the chicken with oil to work as a lubricant and aiding the passage of the impacted food to the gizzard. Since there could be bruising of the crop, it's best to feed mushed feed with probiotics as others have chimed.

Here is the diet I provide to my chickens after crop issues or general illness.

Soft food diet:
Feed some minced cooked meat protein or cooked eggs, diced fruit, diced black or red grapes, fresh greens chopped or cooked frozen mixed vegetables, cooked grains like: brown rice, wheat berries, oat groats, pearl barley. Always offer moist feed daily.

The chicken should have soft foods while healing.

If you have probiotics, give some, I use gro 2 MAX. I sprinkle a pinch on the cooked grains, fruit and vegies, for three days.

Clean fresh water daily. I like to add some echinacea tea (1 tea bag steeped 5 min., in a cup of water, then, pour into a gallon of water) or aloe vera juice (1 Tb. per gallon water), to boost the immune system.

God Bless! :)

Can you tell me how to offer grit 4 sour crop recovery? Is it best to add a pinch to there food or free offer. Im afraid my hen will eat too much and I will be back to square one.

Can you tell me how to offer grit 4 sour crop recovery? Is it best to add a pinch to there food or free offer. Im afraid my hen will eat too much and I will be back to square one.

I don't find it necessary to offer "grit" for sour crop recovery. The chickens select their grit while pecking about in the run or yard. Grit remains in the gizzard for a couple of weeks. Since they don't have teeth, a chicken needs the grit to crush hard foods. Hopefully, the chicken is eating soft or mashed moist food in controlled amounts, while recovering from sour crop.

God Bless :)

Back
Top Bottom