Red Bottom and Itching

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by corliss, Mar 13, 2011.

1. corliss

corliss In the Brooder

Mar 7, 2010
    I really hope someone can tell me what's wrong with this hen. I've only had her a week and she seems quite sweet natured but I'm worried about this constant itching.

1) What type of bird , age and weight.
    Bantam cochin hen, approximately a year old, don't know weight

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
    Hen is sharply scratching herself around the vent area with her beak, not like normal preening (almost violent)

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
    She has been doing this since this morning.

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
    I've only had her a week and she is by herself in quarantine.

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
    The skin around her vent and below it is very red.

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
    I don't know unless she is allergic to pine shavings.

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
    She has been drinking a lot of water ever since we got her but eating normally (layer pellets). Treats have included corn bread, scratch, spinach and bread in small amounts.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
    She has a green diaherria which I thought might be stress related due to her new environment. She has had normal poop off and on since arriving but today it has all been runny.

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
    I gave her plain yogurt for the diaherria a few days ago and it seemed to help. I examined her today and didn't see mites or lice but I am new to this and don't have experience.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
    If this is something treatable at home I will do so, otherwise we'll be seeing the vet this week. I'd prefer not to, if possible.

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
    [​IMG]

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
    She is in our sunroom where the temp varies from 40-75. The floor is covered with a tarp and there are pine shavings on top of that. At night the hen sleeps in a dog carrier lined with paper and filled with flake hay.

2. paddock36

paddock36 Crowing

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    My first thought was mites but she looks like she has runny poo. I would get her some antibiotics and bath her if possible to get her cleaned up a bit. Then if the runny poo stops and she is clean and dry a good dusting for mites wouldn't hurt.

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

Is she swollen in the area too? I'd deff. clip the feathers back from around her vent and give her a good soak, just make sure she's good and dry if you put her back outside. and also keep and eye on the rest of the flock they will peck her and make this alot worse if given the chance.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: