Red Buff Spalding FOUNDER FLOCK -digresses into peafowl in general

Quote:
The strangely ironic thing about these ticks is that the juveniles and female and even other adult males will allo-preen one another and ingest these ticks. So a really fit male peafowl capable of wandering the tall grassland ends up covered in ticks and this provides sustenance -it's ironic and so dinosaurian -right? I'm really glad you find reading this stimulating. These photographers travel the world and take photos they'd love to share in an appropriate setting. Lots of people read this forum making it fun to write here.

Quote:
I saw one picture from the Bronx Zoo with three green peafowl...So they only have one now? When I heard about the peafowl escaping I thought it was just going to be an India blue, but when I saw that it was a green I wished that I lived nearby and it would run away to our yard.
tongue.png
That makes it even stranger that she was in the indoor exhibit and still got out.
roll.png

Didn't you take those photos? I love your photography.

Resolution,
This is what the adult Great Argus peacock look like when flying in air.

Clinton.

Last edited:
Is this a hybrid green peacock ??? Note the colours & pattens of eyed feathers on train.

98483_img016.jpg

Clinton.

Quote:
I just refer to the Great Argus as the Great Argus- a male Great Argus for example- the terms peafowl or pheasant are not all that helpful because the Argus is unique unto itself. That's my choice.
Your Great Argus in flight is very good-but the alula wing and primaries are not quite right. The surface area ratio to the actual size of the bird is also off a bit. The head and neck would be substantially smaller in relation to the wings. There is sufficient surface area in the primaries alone for the Great Argus to fly with. Its elongated secondaries are only spread out in flight during certain aerial displays. The alula wing or alula as it more properly described, in the Great Argus is an odd sight as it seems as if it too is its own wing. The primaries of this genus are very wide and rigid, their tips are an unusual affair. I'll invite you to look around a bit more on the internet to see the outstretched wing of an adult Great Argus. You've certainly done it great justice Clinton9. I doubt many bird illustrators could come close to what you've accomplished here. Is this the Bornean or Malaysian species? Their wing formulas are slightly different.The retrices need some more dedicated hours for you Clifton
I'm going to start a new thread that will be more appropriate to discuss the Great Argus. I hope you will post your illustrations there and keep us abreast of your modifications as you go.

Last edited:
@Clinton

I think Kermit once said that's an Imperator Siamensis. It does look a little odd though, but I think that's due to the flash used. The head is green as it is in most imperators. The iris around the occeli is green not sky-blue as it is in Javanensis and muticus; in imperator imperator the iris is aquamarine.

Last edited:
Quote:
I do not believe this bird to be hybrid. It looks like the nominate imperator and possibly a composite of more than one geographical form of imperator.

What about this bird:
work.6833450.1.flat,550x550,075,f.green-peafowl.jpg

Is this the Hue Imperator? It doesn't look like a Peridot but the shape is a little strange.

Hmm so that other bird was a composite with nominate imperator? That does explain the rosy train that is somewhat like muticus muticus, yet has the green head.

Are nominate imperators found in Thailand? how come you once labelled a picture as a wild integrade with siamensis?

work.5894137.3.flat,550x550,075,f.green-peafowl.jpg

Last edited:
This bird looks like a Hue or Tonkin imperator to me. It may be a captive composite imperator as well but more likely an intergrade between Hue and Tonkin geographic races of imperator.
There is another form, which Fritz describes as coming from Northern Thailand that takes after annamensis in many respects. I need to learn more about it. It appears as if there may be an intergradation between imperator and annamensis in this region. Now I understand why imperators are so violently opposed to some females, they'll just chase them until they've cornered and killed them.

This bird could also prove to be a hybrid with cristatus. Only serious genetic sleuthing is going to get to a relevant answer.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom