red, featherless bump? lots of pics

msbee

Songster
8 Years
Mar 17, 2011
MN
Our Rapunzel has a red featherless bump on her chest. It doesn't look like it's bleeding. Just naked and maybe a bit irritated. She doesn't seem to mind when I touch it. Can anyone tell me what this is about, and how I can help her? Thank you.

82942_img_3045.jpg

82942_img_3052.jpg

82942_img_3058.jpg

82942_img_3051.jpg

82942_img_3050.jpg

Last edited:
oh, yes, she's a little over 2 years old, so it's not molting, I don't think...

well, I didn't get any responses here... but I was thinking and decided to search for impacted crop, and I'm pretty sure that's what it is - was. We kept her inside last night, massaged her crop, gave her olive oil. She was/is still pooping just fine. This morning, she looked perfectly normal - no bump, no bald spot whatsoever...

However, tonight I see the bump/bare spot appearing again. I let her out later than the rest of the flock and didn't feed them as usual today because they still have so much to forage around the yard. Wherever she's finding it, Rapunzel is being a little piggy right now, I think.

Any suggestions on what I can do or should do if at all? Is she missing something and is overeating to compensate or can this be a normal habit for some chickens?

I dont know what the bump is. Maybe she got bit by some chiggers in the grass or something and then scratched or pulled her feathers out there? When chickens are eating properly, their crop should be full when they go to bed and empty when they wake up. So that might be what you are experiencing with the lump.
smile.png
Hope this helps a little.

I have two with that and both of them kick up at there crop when they walk about - both of mine have had sour crop but now that it is gone they still kick up at there crops and they have a patch that looks just like that.

Did you check for any sort of bugs? Look under the wings and by the vent area. They will hang out in the warmest areas and really irritate them at night mostly. I would put some Vaseline on it for a little protection until you find out what it is.

Back
Top Bottom