Red, Irritated Skin/ Going Bald

Bantamtam

In the Brooder
May 6, 2017
Hi BYC,

It's my first post here, and I wish it could be a little happier! I'm posting because one of my Bantams (the one in my profile picture) has really red, irritated skin on her belly, and is losing feathers atop her head (which is also quite red). Can anybody shed light on what might be going on? I wondered if it might be mites, but the other two bantam hens living with her appear to be fine, and I have been dusting them. Pictures attached.

Yours,
Bantamtam

Last edited:
The feather loss at the back of the head could be from feather picking or mating (if you have a rooster). Watch to see if another hen is plucking her feathers out. On the belly, she may be plucking them herself - has she been broody?

The head feathers will grow back if the picking stops. My theory is that she's broody (why the belly is bare) and has been taking up occupancy in the flock's favorite nest box. This is likely making higher ranking birds a bit disgruntled. They wait for their turn to lay, but she never vacates, so they try and force her out with pecking. Happens all the time to my Australorps.

Thank you for your replies all. Broodiness is possible, although she hasn't been acting broody lately - in fact she spends all of her time outside, and is usually the last to go to bed. It's definitely not rooster related, as we only have three hens. I have noticed that her crop is always full (and is very red too) - could this help to explain it at all?

The head feathers will grow back if the picking stops. My theory is that she's broody (why the belly is bare) and has been taking up occupancy in the flock's favorite nest box. This is likely making higher ranking birds a bit disgruntled. They wait for their turn to lay, but she never vacates, so they try and force her out with pecking. Happens all the time to my Australorps.
X2

Thank you for your replies all. Broodiness is possible, although she hasn't been acting broody lately - in fact she spends all of her time outside, and is usually the last to go to bed. It's definitely not rooster related, as we only have three hens. I have noticed that her crop is always full (and is very red too) - could this help to explain it at all?
Check her crop when she goes to bed (roosting) it should be full. Check it first thing in the morning before she has had anything to eat and drink - it should be empty (flat). If it isn't emptied by morning then she may have a crop problem. It's normal for the crop to be filled throughout the day, it will go up and down a bit, but chickens constantly eat/drink. This is why you have to check it overnight - giving it several hours to see if it empties.

Back
Top Bottom