Red laced blue Wyndottes

Apr 4, 2018
I have two rlb wyndottes and was wondering if anyone could help with sexing them. I'm including a few pictures of the two. I have better pictures of one than the other. The dark solid blue is a maran, that is also unsexed.

Also, black chick. Breed is unknown. Chick came in from hatchery with two small bald spots on its back. The chick is growing but feathers are few and far between. Has anyone ever encountered this before?

Attachments

• 0402181659d-1.jpg
    0402181659d-1.jpg
    462.1 KB · Views: 29
  • 0402181659e-1.jpg
    0402181659e-1.jpg
    408.9 KB · Views: 25
  • 0401181149a.jpg
    0401181149a.jpg
    291.8 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
I think you have blue laced red wyandottes, funny because I make this mistake all the time with them :gigUnsure about the sex but the middle one in the second picture has a nice pink wattle which may be an indication of a cockerel but, again not sure. How old?

I agree, it appears both Wyandottes are cockerels. Red shoulder patches are never a good sign if you're hoping for pullets. :)
How old are they? I'm thinking pullet on the Marans at this point, my 6-week-old girls of the same breed are comparable in development.
I've raised a few balding chicks, and they always turn out just as beautifully feathered as the rest after maturity. ;) Just give it time to catch up. :D

~Alex

Typically if they have red shoulder patches like that they are cockerels. I'm guessing they are both cockerels. No idea on the other one, sorry.

Do you know if the roos wing feathers come in mostly the same length or off set? Or does wing feathers not matter with this breed?

I agree, it appears both Wyandottes are cockerels. Red shoulder patches are never a good sign if you're hoping for pullets. :)
How old are they? I'm thinking pullet on the Marans at this point, my 6-week-old girls of the same breed and color are comparable in development.

~Alex

Dern! Well, at least my Maran is hopefully female. I was thinking it was as well! The black chick seems strong, I'm hopeful for it!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom