Red Laced Cornish X and project talk (pics p. 8)

Wow !!!! sure is an awful lot of Breeder bashing going on lately, I see some points but most realy don't have a clue what it takes to raise Quality pure Cornish LF stock and how hard it is to keep things going to a high level. In short with all the time and effort involved in getting good birds it's a shame to see them go to waste in the pen's of novice. By waste I mean improper or poor breeding practices, why the heck do you think the breed is in the shape it's in now, Novice playing around and wasting opportunities. Like Charley I too have helped others out but only after they have proven the ability to help the breed, heck Charley and I have worked together for years on our birds and they still need some work, sure we hatch a bunch this year more than in the past but that's because we needed the numbers to accomplish perfection. Now I know Ya'll hate Cornish breeders cause you can't get any birds or won't pay what it takes to get good stock, that's why so many are complacent with hatchery mutts and think they are swell, and that's fine but they ain't Cornish so don't go there please. I wish I was in a better position with my numbers to help some truley deserving future breeders, but for now they will only go to proven pro's or show breeders, this way they will get the treatment they deserve.

AL

Wow !!!! sure is an awful lot of Breeder bashing going on lately, I see some points but most realy don't have a clue what it takes to raise Quality pure Cornish LF stock and how hard it is to keep things going to a high level. In short with all the time and effort involved in getting good birds it's a shame to see them go to waste in the pen's of novice. By waste I mean improper or poor breeding practices, why the heck do you think the breed is in the shape it's in now, Novice playing around and wasting opportunities. Like Charley I too have helped others out but only after they have proven the ability to help the breed, heck Charley and I have worked together for years on our birds and they still need some work, sure we hatch a bunch this year more than in the past but that's because we needed the numbers to accomplish perfection. Now I know Ya'll hate Cornish breeders cause you can't get any birds or won't pay what it takes to get good stock, that's why so many are complacent with hatchery mutts and think they are swell, and that's fine but they ain't Cornish so don't go there please. I wish I was in a better position with my numbers to help some truley deserving future breeders, but for now they will only go to proven pro's or show breeders, this way they will get the treatment they deserve.

AL

There have been some pretty rude remarks made on here, and I am afraid it has resulted in Katythechickenlady leaving.

So far it appears my young, large fowl Cornish can live cover at least 10 females and get good fertility, which allows me to add some off breed hens to their pens, or in one pen, a couple of hatchery quality "Cornish". I, like many others, do have a chunk of change wrapped up in my quality Cornish, but have no problem letting them cover a few hens to produce crossbred chicks. Of course, if I had more purebred hens, this might not be happening. LOL

I figure those crossbred eggs should produce chicks on par with [or as meaty as] most hatchery Cornish, which is why I thought those people working with a meatbird project might be interested. If not, between locals wanting them, and my big freezer, I have them all "homed" anyway.
wink.png

Last edited:
Lets not put the cart before the horse here... Those in the know have a responsibility to those not in the know. If I see someone that I think is going in a wrong direction I help to turn them in the right direction... especially when they ask.

Posting pictures is nice and all but doesn't really help those that need it.

As for Katy leaving... you get glad in the same pants you get sad in... it is a choice and it really is too bad because she had good input.

To paraphrase NIFTY " you need thick skin".

Lets not put the cart before the horse here... Those in the know have a responsibility to those not in the know. If I see someone that I think is going in a wrong direction I help to turn them in the right direction... especially when they ask.

Posting pictures is nice and all but doesn't really help those that need it.

As for Katy leaving... you get glad in the same pants you get sad in... it is a choice and it really is too bad because she had good input.

To paraphrase NIFTY " you need thick skin".

I am unable to get any quality LF cornish but I don't have the room even if I could. I enjoy the talk and the pictures because I like the breed. I don't think it's anyone's business what someone else does with their birds. If they don't want to sell them, it's their choice not to. No one has a "duty" to sell you their birds. That's just crazy.

Wait! Wait!

Someone in this thread said the Red Laced Cornish grow slower? I just bought a batch of eggs to hatch out with the plan to eventually breed with Rock crosses for meat chickens. Was this a bad idea?

They grow slower than cornish x from hatcheries if that's what you mean. Plenty of people do what you plan on. I wouldn't say it was a bad idea, you might come up with something good.

Nobody is required to sell birds and I did not say that.

Al said " In short with all the time and effort involved in getting good birds it's a shame to see them go to waste in the pen's of novice. By waste I mean improper or poor breeding practices," which means after someone gets birds they apparently do not know what the hell they are doing (which is debatable) cornish breeders do have that responsibility to help, that is the purpose of clubs to help the breed regardless of any discriminating reasons one holds like being a novice for example.

I am unable to get any quality LF cornish but I don't have the room even if I could. I enjoy the talk and the pictures because I like the breed. I don't think it's anyone's business what someone else does with their birds. If they don't want to sell them, it's their choice not to. No one has a "duty" to sell you their birds. That's just crazy.

Did you buy them off EBAY? If so you will be disappointed if it is the same guy as last year. If they are hatchery grade they grow about the same as any DP bird.

Wait! Wait!

Someone in this thread said the Red Laced Cornish grow slower? I just bought a batch of eggs to hatch out with the plan to eventually breed with Rock crosses for meat chickens. Was this a bad idea?

Nobody is required to sell birds and I did not say that.

Al said " In short with all the time and effort involved in getting good birds it's a shame to see them go to waste in the pen's of novice. By waste I mean improper or poor breeding practices," which means after someone gets birds they apparently do not know what the hell they are doing (which is debatable) cornish breeders do have that responsibility to help, that is the purpose of clubs to help the breed regardless of any discriminating reasons one holds like being a novice for example.

You can assign anyone whatever responsibility you wish, that doesn't make it theirs to carry out the way you'd like to see fit. But I'm curious if no one is required to sell birds, how are you envisioning breeders to "help?" Because before, there was much bitter discussion about not being able to easily find quality LF cornish. I just took it to be the usual crying.

If someone is selfish with their birds then they really have no reason to complain about anyone else and what they do with their birds. Why join a club that has a MS to preserve a breed? bragging arena or what? Seems counter intuitive to me.

My complaint with Cornish Breeders was in comparison to other breeds and breeders they do not act this way they are very helpful and encourage others regardless of experience to get the birds and raise them and they are eager to help.
Don't defend selfishness.Quote:
You can assign anyone whatever responsibility you wish, that doesn't make it theirs to carry out the way you'd like to see fit. But I'm curious if no one is required to sell birds, how are you envisioning breeders to "help?" Because before, there was much bitter discussion about not being able to easily find quality LF cornish. I just took it to be the usual crying.

Back
Top Bottom