Red Laced Cornish X and project talk (pics p. 8)

Quote:
Nice Steve, be sure to give us a good couple of pic's, you know we love to see good cornish LOL. What are your grand plan's for them ??.
AL

Will try to get some pics for sure . My plans for the Cornish cockerals ? Figured I would let them cover some pullets
lol.png

Quote:
How are they doing Steve? I can't wait to see the little guys!

I'm pretty inexperienced at running a 'bator , but I think they are doing OK , just running a little wetter than I wanted if that hygrometer stayed calibrated
duc.gif

ETA : I hatched only one in Nov , its pictured somewhere on this thread I think

Last edited:
Quote:
Sorry , I've confused myself [ not uncommon
lol.png
] . I was pretty sure I saw some CX x Delaware eggs in that hatch , thought they were yours , and can't find the post that mentioned it now . I do wish you the very best success with your crosses ; and above all , hope you have as much fun with it as I am .

Thanks! So funny you got me confused with that thread, because I was actually thinking about keeping one of my cockerels to put over my 4 Delaware pullets, but I hadn't actually said anything about it yet to anyone... lol. Maybe you were reading my mind!!!
hide.gif

WhiteMountain , here's my only Ameraucana x CX chick hatched back in Nov . Its feathering now , but too ugly to take pictures of
lol.png

44349_cx_ee_001.jpg

Parentage was questionable , I was running my CX pullets with a white Ameraucana and getting no fertile eggs . The Ameraucana was acting afraid of those big girls so I swapped him to another pen and replaced him with a hatchery type WLRC that was an aggressive breeder . I started saving eggs as soon I cracked a fertile one , collected several CX eggs plus some EE and one Wyandotte now running with the bashful Ameraucana and 3 CX cockerals . Only 3 out of 14 hatched , and looks like the white Ameraucana was the daddy of all ; I guess he was covering them while I wasn't around .
lol.png

This time around the pens had been established since 10/30 , and eggs collected beginning 12/01 , so thinking the pullets will have been covered by the right males this time .

Quote:
Mine were hatched the last week of April , started laying the next to last week of Sept , just under 5 months of age . While there seems to be very little difference in growth abilities between the strains , there may be differences in their eggs . Others have reported extra large eggs from their CX pullets . One of mine lays a huge double yolker too often [ useless for hatching ] , but the others layed regular little pullet eggs and graduated to the size of a commercial Large or just a bit larger at times . The 4 pullets lay three different shades , from dark tan to very faintly tinted ; some are impossible to tell from my SS's , and one can't be distinguished from my GLW's .

I hate the 1/2 second delay in the shutter trigger , I always have to take a bunch to get one good one ; and my camera hates going out in the cold when its coming from room temperature , always shuts down soon and will not come back on untill its back inside . I'll leave these up for a few days then delete them .
44349_cx_ee_004.jpg

44349_cx_ee_003.jpg

As you can see , its legs are turning green now , and its much larger than its blue 1/2 sibling . The chick in the background is interesting to me for color genetics . It was hatched a brown wild type , is feathering in as a white , blue , and red . The breeder of my white Ameraucana [ the sire ] has since informed me that her white Ameraucanas are born smokey , yellow , or blue ; but always feather in white . She used him on her white frizzled Cochins and half feathered white , the other half blue . It makes me wonder about what type of white he is , and he must be carrying blue splash genetics under the white genetics . I traded him back to her as he has better leg color than the new line of white Ameraucanas she purchased , unfortunately he escaped on his first day back and probably was eaten by a coyote
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom