Red Laced Cornish X and project talk (pics p. 8)

Quote:
My two Cornish were miserably pathetic in the cold. They were hands down the least cold hardy birds I could have ever imagined, getting their feet frost bitten to the point that they would have just had stubs left within a 1 hour period while I was at the grocery store because they stood in the snow, the first snow of the year, even though they didn't have to! I swear I think they're still a little reptilian and their brains stopped functioning after it hit freezing.

Quote:
I just bought a Berkely fish scale today at Walmart for five dollars. It weighs up to fifty pounds. My hen weighted six pounds, and the rooster weighted eight. I calabrated the scales with a five pound weight. I am really happy. I knew they felt very meaty, but not to this extent. I am going to breed the hen back with a black cornish rooster along with the two Freedom Ranger hens. The next generation will tell the story.

Last edited:
21822_dscn0568.jpg
Here is a picture of my hatchery Black Cornish.

Quote:
I just bought a Berkely fish scale today. It weighs up to fifty pounds. My hen weighted six pounds, and the rooster weighted eight. I calabrated the scales with a five pound weight. I am really happy. I knew they felt very meaty, but not to this extent. I am going to breed the hen back with a black cornish rooster along with the two Freedom Ranger hens. The next generation will tell the story.

at 12 weeks that is awesome. so I take it from your comment that you are going to try breeding them, good luck!

this is for you steve:
Htis is my very large roo I have been telling you about (finally got the camera back to working) he is Buff AM X RIRXWL. I don't know why he got so big??? His Daddy was the Buff AM from John Blehm. He's as big as my meat boys though and not yet a year old. He would have full beard but the girls wont let it alone & his large single comb has suffered frost bite. Just thought you might want to see
smile.png

19992_platz_005.jpg

Quote:
Congrats . I'm surprized the buff color carried so well into the crosses . I know next to nothing about buff genetics and can't find too much detail about it .

Quote:
I just bought a Berkely fish scale today at Walmart for five dollars. It weighs up to fifty pounds. My hen weighted six pounds, and the rooster weighted eight. I calabrated the scales with a five pound weight. I am really happy. I knew they felt very meaty, but not to this extent. I am going to breed the hen back with a black cornish rooster along with the two Freedom Ranger hens. The next generation will tell the story.

Great price , congrats . I love mine , but paid 4X that price for it LOL

the girls on the left aren't of that cross, just the roo & the hen on the right. they all came out buff though, some paler than the others; and a few of the roos with more red head and shoulders & white tail feathers (I culled those)

Quote:
He's gorgeous . Its funny how sometimes everything in the mix of genetic material just clicks and an offspring is much bigger than its heritage would cause you to expect .

Quote:
Congrats . I'm surprized the buff color carried so well into the crosses . I know next to nothing about buff genetics and can't find too much detail about it .

I really like the color. But it will probably change when I breed them to the black cornish. I really like this meat birds forum. Being able to exchange ideas, and getting help.

Back
Top Bottom