Red Laced Cornish X and project talk (pics p. 8)

When you all started this project talk I was working on some birds if anyone remembers. I decided not to breed for whites and Just breed for meat to feed. I took CXR hens over Dark Cornish Roo's and Crx Roo's over Plymouth white rock hens. I then bred these into each other. and some Buckeyes Into plymouth white rocks. I finally have the chicks on the ground and from this I will select my best of best for my project adding to these offspring in a spiral breeding program.
For anyone who doesnt understand spiral breeding heres the link http://www.ehow.com/how_5400189_spiral-breed-chickens.html

I
will keep Turning out chicks from my Stock of F2 and F1 stock till my numbers are nice I have about 10 down hoping to get at least 50-100 raised before summer ends. only problem is after culling and culling and culling I only have 5 pairs to work off of. Will post some pics of the chicks and How there fairing from time to time. Just glad to finally be somewhere with something to work with.

Quote:
Idaho Red Rangers?
droolin.gif

lol, yeah but as with you taking longer than I like. my main issue is with longevity, size I have - and I don't want to be eating older birds but I want them to last at least a FULL breeding season otherwise it just doesn't add up to sustainable for me. I'll post some pics in a minute after I look at yours.

oops sorry that was MM's link and there WERE NO PICS come on guys picture time
smile.png

Last edited:
2011 Roos

SMOKEY JOE

Secret Recipe Roo crossed with CX x BCM hen

19992_2011_roos_144.jpg

19992_2011_roos_143.jpg

19992_2011_roos_142.jpg

19992_2011_roos_141.jpg

He looks short in the pics but as you can see he is taller than the laying hens he's standing near.

Last edited:
PISTOL PETE

Full brother to Smokey Joe (and yours Steve)

19992_2011_roos_147.jpg

19992_2011_roos_146.jpg

19992_2011_roos_148.jpg

19992_2011_roos_145.jpg

I also still have one BCM x CX roo that has made it over a year and will be using him this year as well, pics will have to wait for now though.

Here is the hen from the PWR/CXR cross she is very heavy I tried to weigh her on my digital scale that only weighs 10 and under and I got error so I had to break out the old scales. I will retake pic when the GF is home and has her digital scales for her patients if I can persuay her to allow me to use em LOL

61206_meat_birds_005.jpg

DC X CXR

61206_meat_birds_008.jpg

Buckeye X PWR

61206_meat_birds_002.jpg

61206_meat_birds_007.jpg
3 week old of spring I will get some digital weights on him soon as I go water. and get better pics of my parantage stock as the pics were blurry.

As for my hen I am disapointed in her leg structure and something I intend to breed for using my PWR and CRX cross. I am breeding for breast using The Buckeye X PWR
I am no where close I understand my chicks are definatly not where i would like them to be far as meat to feed conversion is conserned I am however Culling very strictly. out of 10 chicks I probably get 3-4 that are usable the rest Just seem to be so slow growing and small. I know I slowed down my process using Cornish in there. But I want to improve my breast size before I breed for vigor. if that makes any sense. my goal is 2 more years on this project. we will see how it fairs.

Quote:
thumbsup.gif
They're lookin' great Katy! They look like Freedom Rangers with some extra breast meat. The chick from you is easily twice the size of his two hatch mates. I'll see if I can get pics of him tonight.

Back
Top Bottom