Red Laced Cornish X and project talk (pics p. 8)

Quote:
Me too, I try to avoid white animals. I know there is nothing wrong with them, just personal preference. I like a little color in my life!
big_smile.png

Glad I'm not alone in that line of thinking.
big_smile.png
Its just a personal thing with me. But then I also look at the barn regardless of color. Cause if the barns no use the color doesn't matter.

Quote:
I love whites; but, unfortunately, so do predators. [Haven't lost any since early last year, but those were either mostly white, some splash chicks that got loose, and the other had a silver laced chest.................... ] I love the whites for both looks and processing; but also appreciate colors. I intend to introduce lavender to my EEs late this year; hoping for the best of both worlds with that color, but have never dressed a lav or lav patterned, so really don't know how they look.

i am shooting for the white with the overlay of red so far it's all over the board though. I have the red roo over my white hens and the white roo over my red hens and the ALL white roo over some White rocks to give me another big boned line to infuse in later.

AND NOW I AM GETTING SOME OF STEVES CORNISH WOOO HOOO!!!

Quote:
Steve has cornish? GRRR
he.gif
wtb all the cornish in the world!!!!!

Only my two dark cockerals are show quality, the WLRCs are hatchery sourced, but I hope the cross produces nice chicks..................... and there's even a possibility the big CX might have got one fertile also.

PS I read The Prophet many years ago, loved it, need to read it again someday

Last edited:
I'm still very confused over Cornish X.

Ok, so the meatbirds you buy from the hatchery........what are they? I dont think they are some GMO freaky chicken, so...just what ARE they? White Cornish x ???????

Why can't everybody just make their own by making the same breeding the hatcheries do?

What am I missing here?

Quote:
They're no longer a simple Cornish, White Rock cross. The chicks we buy always come from 4, seperate, highly refined, parent lines; all owned by corporations, and those mostly owned and controlled by Tyson. Aside from the meaty breast, they hardly show any Cornish influence at all. The CX I saw as a kid were bred from select lines of white Cornish over select lines of PWRs; but they took nearly twice as long to grow a smaller bird than the CX of today. Here's an old video where the first CX, bred by the Vantress brothers, won a national contest to find a better meat chicken. It was a Red Cornish/New Hampshire Red cross done before the industry insisted on white feathered birds. The NHRs were famed for disease resistance back in those days, when medicated feeds, vaccines, and biosecurity systems were not yet developed.

ETA: Links
tongue.png
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SG7TIQk1UiM

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom