Red Laced Cornish X and project talk (pics p. 8)

I like a bit of fat, but it can be just in the muscling and I'm good. In a cut of beef or lamb I do like fat on the cut, prevents drying out the meats. Othertimes I like fat to cook. Guess it all depends on how expensive it was to make. I'm definitely looking toward grass fed rather than grain fed.

I lost the 3 largest cornishX in the heat yesterday. I'm debating whether or not to keep the last 3 for breeding now. Perhaps the cross breds are better adapted. Meaning they have a slower metabolism and there fore don't have so much body heat to disperse. I feel like I need to give them a fan!!

I expect the cornish do better in the heat than the commercial crosses. Though being of English decent maybe not.

Lady come over last night to check out my Cornish. First thing she said "Is that all the bigger they get". Until I grabbed a cock and a hen for her to carry-- of which she then stated the obvious that they are bigger, and much heavier than any chicken she has ever had... Hard feathers win again!

Sold her my youngest group of black laced red chicks. After she left, I was reminded that most of them are sired by the white cock- and she got a bargin with a bunch of F1 white carriers!

Ok, so I'm already following too many threads in full, here's a mod post to give the background to my question:
Quote:
Originally Posted by capayvalleychick Delawares were known for rapid growth in the 1940's, compared to the heritage breeds that predated them. But they were replaced by the Cornish x by the 50's. They are not as fast growing as the modern meat hybrids.
Zanna in OR has some of Kathy's recreated Dels. Her own line is pretty good, too.
Perfect! Okay then, I will PM you both and I'll provide my email/phone? I'd love to make contact with a few of these guys. I would like to have a plan for starting with C/D's or C/JG's come next year. My Cornish contact is Scott Bunnell - I found him most circuitously... a hoot to correspond with, but would love to know what others might think of his birds... Maybe the Smith's know him or of him. Thanks everyone.

--> So, anyone here playing with C crosses that has tried Jersey's or Delawares? What age did you harvest? I'm trying to minimize the Rooster crow thing, but I don't want to buy my chicks each year, AND if I'm going to breed, might as well support the Cornish and another Heritage breed. Note that I'm out here on the Olympic Peninsula in the PNW, and finding pure bred stock out here is, erm, tricky. I've got my HRIR plan figured out, and want to get ducks, er, chickens in a row for next year.

FInding heritage stock is not like goint to Macy's. BUt if you have a poultry show nearby definitely go have a look, get hte entry list and see if you have carnish breeders in your area. ALso talk to the show secretary-- they know EVERYONE.

hello! Just to follow up, my dark bird is now confirmed a freedom ranger. Thank you for your help and information. By the way, anyone know what DP stands for?

hello! Just to follow up, my dark bird is now confirmed a freedom ranger. Thank you for your help and information. By the way, anyone know what DP stands for?
Dual Purpose--eggs and meat, as most homesteads only had one breed, it had to supply both products. SOme breeds are more one than the other; and many have not been kept up on the meat side of utility and most hatchery birds have been improved on the egg side of utility as well as the old heritage types of leghorn, etc are great egg layers.

Ok, so this is the red-laced site. I got it. BUT, anyone ever get white sports they don't want to keep? Or know / have White Cornish LF line? I'd like very much to start a small preservation flock. I've already contacted everyone who came up under a "white cornish" thread search... Thanks!
-Aleta G.

Ok, so this is the red-laced site. I got it. BUT, anyone ever get white sports they don't want to keep? Or know / have White Cornish LF line? I'd like very much to start a small preservation flock. I've already contacted everyone who came up under a "white cornish" thread search... Thanks!
-Aleta G.
If you are serious about cornish, talk to Fowlman01 = Walt. He raises cornish and is a APA judge and is likely to know who has white cornish if they are an APA bird. He is a busy guy, but if you have a genuine question he will try to get back to you.

Also If white cornish is APA, Robert BLosl might be able to help too.

I apologize I don't know all the APA varieties for cornish.

-Aleta G.
White Laced Red is dominate, whereas white is recessive. Meaning, WLR will not produce white chicks, although I have a couple that I believe carry both kinds of white-- and they are about 85% white with some red bleed.

Throwback whites are in high demand.

Doubtful you'll find anyone wanting to sell you whites. They don't exactly sell to people wanting to 'preserve' them. It's also doubtful you'll ever find anyone with whites- crossing them up-- unless they are using some dark hens under their white cocks to improve on type. I will never put a WLR under a white-- far too complicated color to breed away from. Would rather use my darks or blues to improve on the whites.

Back
Top Bottom