Red Laced Cornish X and project talk (pics p. 8)

On a side note to the rest of the world: It's tax season, and as a result I've decided I have to sell hatching eggs next year if I want to even come close to making ends meet on the Cornish- so start putting orders in. Even though i sold several 100 dollars worth of breeding stock, my wife informed me that the chicken hobby is costing quite a bit. I'm also going to have to invest in a quality incubator to better increase my hatching percentages. Otherwise, it's far cheaper and easier to buy CX birds to eat!

Which btw: I also need to update that the lone CX hen that survived, did indeed produce two eggs that grew into offspring. Those two, I believe one of each sex- are sired by the White Cornish cock. I've wondered throughout their whole life why they were always so much bigger than their WC hatchmates- and now I've figured it out. Will be interesting to see how they'll be backcrossed WC.

On a side note to the rest of the world: It's tax season, and as a result I've decided I have to sell hatching eggs next year if I want to even come close to making ends meet on the Cornish- so start putting orders in. Even though i sold several 100 dollars worth of breeding stock, my wife informed me that the chicken hobby is costing quite a bit. I'm also going to have to invest in a quality incubator to better increase my hatching percentages. Otherwise, it's far cheaper and easier to buy CX birds to eat!

Which btw: I also need to update that the lone CX hen that survived, did indeed produce two eggs that grew into offspring. Those two, I believe one of each sex- are sired by the White Cornish cock. I've wondered throughout their whole life why they were always so much bigger than their WC hatchmates- and now I've figured it out. Will be interesting to see how they'll be backcrossed WC.

how do I go about putting in an egg order and cost?

I'm still looking for quality WLR birds. The batch I bought from Stromberg's isn't horribly bad, but the Murray McMurray lot is absolutely 100% a batch of cull birds, I will not try to breed them to my ladies. I would love information on good stock breeders. Thank you.

Just came in from butchering this dude. He didn't winter very well, and either was injured, or frost bite to a foot. 6 months old- hanging dressed carcass of 6 pounds 10 oz. However, I take the wings off a joint lower than most people, so add that in, and we're looking at easily a 7 pound bird hanging upside down.

I still have a full/ hatchmate brother that I intend to breed back to some White Cornish hens, was growing both out to determine which I wanted for stud.

This bird was F1 White Cornish cock mated to Cornish Rock X hen.

Just came in from butchering this dude. He didn't winter very well, and either was injured, or frost bite to a foot. 6 months old- hanging dressed carcass of 6 pounds 10 oz. However, I take the wings off a joint lower than most people, so add that in, and we're looking at easily a 7 pound bird hanging upside down. I still have a full/ hatchmate brother that I intend to breed back to some White Cornish hens, was growing both out to determine which I wanted for stud. This bird was F1 White Cornish cock mated to Cornish Rock X hen.
Nice sized dressed bird. You have many Cronish X hens?

Nice sized dressed bird. You have many Cronish X hens?
My entire flock is Cornish, it's the only breed we raise.

We once bought 10 CX chicks- 7 ended up being pullets. Kept 5. By the time they started laying, we were down to 2. Ended up with only one. Out of her entire season, we only got two fertile eggs to hatch from her. She finally died.

Of the two hatched- both were cockerels. One met his maker today, the other remains as a stud being bred to White Cornish hens. He shows no signs of disability, or regression. Good prospect. Hope it works out.

My entire flock is Cornish, it's the only breed we raise.

We once bought 10 CX chicks- 7 ended up being pullets.  Kept 5.  By the time they started laying, we were down to 2.  Ended up with only one.  Out of her entire season, we only got two fertile eggs to hatch from her.  She finally died.  

Of the two hatched- both were cockerels.  One met his maker today, the other remains as a stud being bred to White Cornish hens.  He shows no signs of disability, or regression.  Good prospect.  Hope it works out.  

Glad you got a least one offspring from her.

Yes, I knew you had just Cornish, but then I saw that his mom was Cornish X I thought maybe you added some.

Thanks for the update.

Back
Top Bottom