Red Laced Cornish X and project talk (pics p. 8)

ya set my head to spinnin'!
lol.png

Pics of the recent additions to my breeding pen :

Just turned 1 year old white Ameraucana cock , nice wide stance , breast , and shoulders ; but too much comb for an Ameraucana
44349_chickens_046.jpg

With some of his flock
44349_chickens_045.jpg

6 month old GLW pullet
44349_chickens_044.jpg

6 month old SS pullets
44349_chickens_047.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
Thanks slc, That is what I was getting at in my earlier post about silver + dominant white but was trying to simplify the explanation. In my little brain LOL I was trying to explain how to ID the true silver gene in a dominant white bird, I am just trying to keep all my parent stock with the silver gene so that as my program develops I don't have to worry about color or bleed through. it just seemed simpler to me to start with that and go from there, instead of having to go to f-5 before I start to cull for color and have to start all over again.

When I cull I seperate into 2 cull pens 1 pen for the definite do not want birds, and 1 pen for the birds that could develop into something I can use in other areas. the first pen just get fattened then processed, the other I watch closely for learning and in case something interesting surfaces.

AL

Quote:
Thank you Katy . The pattern is one of my favorites and they're a real decent dual purpose breed . Sadly they will throw black off the white Am. roo [ if he's recessive white as I believe he is ] but if I keep a colored pen the pattern and red base will reappear eventually . My plan is to keep a line of white only and another of all other colors with only performance deciding who stays . However its difficult not to be swayed by the paint job and tempting to intentionally breed for it ; especially with the spangled Orloffs [ same color , different name ] , with some of the Cornish type plus muffs and beards already bred in , getting more available .

ok so I really don't understand and can't grasp the color thing, (haven't spent much time trying either) but here is a question for you guys:
I have a "Buff Colombian" EE hen.
1. I crossed her with a purebred White AM roo and got offspring of every color under the rainbow white, black, red, gold - all patterned though no solids.
2. I crossed her with a pure bred Buff AM roo and got all buff offspring, most with columbian patterning, no solids
3. I crossed her with a purebred Black Am roo - so far only have 4 week old chicks they are all black with yellowish chests, black beaks, black legs.
4 Next I will be crossing her with a Blue AM roo - yet to be seen.

I am keeping 6 hens and one roo from each breeding and intend to spiral breed forever after in oreder to maintain a gene pool from the original hen.

Now my question is . . . do you think these black chicks will be black, and have a dominant gene for black, leaving me eventually years down the road with an all black flock????

Hey Steve any issues with your SS and the combs? Im north of you but I know you still get a good share of the midwestern weather. I've heard the Sussex make a respectable DP (especially the light and buff which supposedly have even more meat) but I dont want to be out in Jan putting KY on combs and wattles to keep frostbite away.

Quote:
Haven't owned an SS before these , but the hens lower combs shouldn't be too much of a problem . However , one of the standards for my crossbreds is a pea comb to help lower the chance of frostbitten combs .

Quote:
I'm just beginning to learn color genetics . I'm told most white Ameraucanas are r. white . Had your roo been pure for r. white the Kippenj. Calculator shows black chicks only . Another type is just called white , and shows results more like you got . You have to remember that the visual color of an EE may look black tailed buff but be something else geneticly .
Both the black and blue roos should throw all black [ with a few blue from the blue ] chicks in the first generation , but while the calculator shows solid black or blue you will most likely see some gold [ red ] leaking on a mostly black [ or blue ] bird . A percentage of those coming from the blue roo will produce a blue base or pattern later if crossed amoungst themselves . If you don't want solid black or blue birds , choose for those with a lot of bleed and the recessive colors will crop out in the following generations . Keeping black pure [ without gold showing ] is still an issue in Ameraucanas , so loosing the solid blacks should be relatively easy IMO .
ETA : If you choose to breed those chicks showing blue plummage together , splash [ black feathers diluted to a combination of white and blue ] will start appearing .
One more additional bit of info : Blue is an incomplete dominate and works to dilute black only . Blue on black gives 50% blue , 50% black ; blue on blue gives 25% black , 50% blue , 25% spash , splash on blue gives 50% each , and splash on splash gives 100% splash . The other gene for blue is lav , or self blue , a recessive dilutant that takes two copies to be seen as a pale version of the original color but works on both black and gold [ red ] .

Last edited:
whew that's good news! I was worried I might loose all of my marvelous color and patterns!

still need a really high quality blue roo if anyone knows of one!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom