Red light chickens

bertio

In the Brooder
11 Years
Oct 17, 2008
Hey folks. I'm rather new at the chicken thing. Although I've had my girls since last Easter. I have a question for anyone out there that can tell me a bit more about heating my chicken coop. It's about 4"x6" and I have 6 ladies. At the moment it's getting rather cool and damp at night. So I installed a Heat Lamp which is on from &pm. to 7am. Problem is: they don't seem to want to go inside where it's nice and warm when it gets dark. All I hear is a lot of talking and grumbling once I stick them in. Could I be interupting their sleep cycle by having the Heat Lamp ON all night? Any feedback would ber greatly appreciated. Thanks
smile.png

I should have read the post closer. Sorry about that.

If you have had them since Easter then they are pretty much full grown. Like Poulets said, they probably don't need a heat lamp. Unless you are in a cold place they probably won't need a heat lamp even in the winter.

Fully feathered chickens do not need external heat sources. They do very well in cool and cold weather. Most large breeds do best in coolish temps.

We only turn on their radiator if the temps are due to be below freezing - we have insulation in the hen house. We usually set the temp at either 45 or 50. They are very spoiled chickens.
lol.png

I use a heat emitter bulb in my coop. It doesn't put out any light. It's on a thermostat that turns on at 35 degrees. It's mainly to keep the water from freezing. Make sure your coop is draft free and the birds will be fine.

Well, thank you all very much for the info. I appreciate the replies. They sound good enough for me. I did insulate the coop and roof. However, I'll add more bedding for them and will remember about the oil radiator when it really gets cold. My girls are truly a bunch of spoiled Canadian chickens. Guess I'd better not start knitting them those little booties? LOL . THX.

Back
Top Bottom