Thomas Lamprogiorgos

Songster
6 Years
Oct 19, 2017
Greece
Hello, everyone.
Do you know how red meat chickens similar to red broilers, red rangers, etc. are created?

I believe that three breeds that create them:

1. rhode island red
2. new hampshire
3. white cornish

Last edited:
Hello, everyone.
Do you know how red meat chickens similar to red broilers, red rangers, etc. are created?

I believe that three breeds that create them:

1. rhode island red
2. new hampshire
3. white plymouth rock
No.
They are used to make Red sex-links. Proficient brown egg layers.
I have Golden Comets made from a New Hampshire Red Rooster and a White Rock Hen.
In their first year, 5 hens laid 32/35 eggs a week.
They are not meat birds. They weigh 4 1/2 to 6 pounds.
I don't know how they make Red Rangers. GC

It's hard to say what breeds are used for the red broilers. I'm guessing the lines used do not resemble the breed they were originally.

With that said, New Hampshires are probably in the mix. Modern broilers that we commonly call Cornish Cross are more than just a cross breed. The lines have been selectively bred for decades and the chicks we raise as broilers are the offspring of two crossbred parents.

So red broilers are probably done close to the same way with a New Hampshire strain involved.

Red Rangers and the othe rred meat chickens from different hatchery's can be just about anything. Each hatchery that have red meat chickens have proprietary lines and secret/copyrighted genetics.

It's been a while since I've read anything on "The Chicken Of TOmorrow" contest. IIRC, White Rocks from Arbor Acres won first place, but the Vantress New Hampshire Cornish Cross was the best performing. They chose the White Rocks as the winner because of the white feathers. I'm fairly certain that the Arbor Acres and Vantress lines are still going and are what are crossed in certain ways to make the various broilers we have today.

Back
Top Bottom