1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Red Meat!!! HOORAY!!! Show Steer 2009

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by rjv_piper, Nov 30, 2008.

1. rjv_piper

rjv_piper Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    Utah
    Well, this morning at 3 AM we got back from Oregon with my new show steer. I'm going to try and post some pictures and videos.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Well, I'll try the videos later...

Anyway, his name's Red Meat, or just Red. I didn't name him, my mom's boss' dad named him. [​IMG] He is very shy and doesn't like people yet. He's getting better, but he will kick. (I got kicked by him in the knee, it doesn't feel very good.)
    I really like how level he is and how his back muscle ties in smoothly with his butt and shoulder. I'd love feed back from other showers, or anyone! Thanks!

Last edited: Nov 30, 2008
  2. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Good luck, you've got some good time to work with him. I'll keep an eye on your thread.

3. laughingllama75

laughingllama75 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2008
    NH
    nice steer.........love the length of back, nice square hind end, well set hocks and looks like he has a nice frame. Of course, he is not set up in any of the photo's, but he looks like he will grow nicely. I also love his neck.....seems to tie in to the body well, and is a good size.
    what breed is he, and how old?
    Congrats to you, by the way. [​IMG]

4. rjv_piper

Dec 28, 2007
    Utah
    He's a limousin and is about 7 months old. I haven't worked with him with the show stick much to get him set up yet. [​IMG] I'll get a pic of him set up when he starts settling in and leading better. [​IMG]

5. rjv_piper

Dec 28, 2007
    Utah
    [​IMG] Here's a picture of my show steer from last year. He was my first and he did just fine for me. We didn't do to well in market class, but we took first in showmanship. He came from the same place as Red, but this one's hair was very thin and it went redish around the belly area. He tastes very good though. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The judge said he was well fed. He just didn't look as showey next to the fluffy ones.

6. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    I have never showed a cow. But, I sure like eating them. [​IMG]

7. rjv_piper

Dec 28, 2007
    Utah
    Quote:MMMMmmm me too [​IMG] lol [​IMG]

8. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    I am 34 years old and showed sheep and goats for the first time at the fair 2 years ago. You're never too old to learn to walk your animals in circles. [​IMG]

9. piecemaker

piecemaker Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Centerville Texas
    Nice steer When I saw him I thought he looked like a limo. We have a red limo cow and her almost year old calf. The calf is crossed with a Black Angus. She is a very good looking calf. Keep us up dated on Red (love the name) [​IMG]

10. buck-wild-chick

buck-wild-chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    Hamilton C. FL
    Cute steer good luck with him. dand I wish i could convince my mom to let me get one. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by