Red roost mite plague!

Sussex19

Free Ranging
Premium Feather Member
Jul 3, 2022
NSW Australia
So I know there is quite a few threads on mites, but I wanted answers for my own situation.
I have recently been a bit busy, so hadn't been paying as much attention as normal to my coops. About three days ago, I saw this in my cockerel grow out coop.
P3121267.JPG
A bit of poking later, and it looked like this.
P3121274.JPG

So at that point, I dusted them all with Pyrethrum dust.
I then thought I had better check my second coop, and at first couldn't see any, but then when I took one of the roosts apart, I was horrified at how many I found.
I am literally surprised any of the chickens are alive. So again, I dusted them all, and then came back today to presser wash it all. However, i was surprised that most of the mites were still alive, although not as healthy looking. And also, the mites in the first coop are still largely alive as well.
And now I have found more in the third and last coop.
I'm just not sure what to do about it, partially if the Pyrethrum isn't working, which it seems like.
All my coops are homemade, out of wood, and as you can imagine, there are a lot of cracks for them to hide in.
I'm going to be doing more presser washing, and while it does reduce them a lot, it is not going to eradicate them.
Thanks for any help, as I really need it.

You may need to scorch them like @Shadrach has mentioned in other posts.

Pressure washing would blast them away with water, but it's not likely going to kill many of them, more than likely it distributes them unless you are mixing Permethrin into the washer as well.

The dust may be a bit more effective since mites would have to crawl through it when coming out to feed and dust will settle into cracks in the wood. Give it a day or two, then maybe shop vac them up, be sure to dispose of the contents of the shop vac or burn it (the contents not the vac:D)

Dust your birds as well, I'm sure you have, but work the dust really well down into the feathers all the way to the skin. Get around the vents and underneath them too. Putting dust into a sock and using it as a powder puff to apply to the birds makes it easier. I try to dust birds a few times a year.

My understanding is it's a battle and you'll have to keep working at it for a good while.

I use liquid permethrin spray and soak all surfaces top to bottom. Focus on cracks and crevices. Repeat at ten and twenty days.

Winter time I dust the girls heavily at same time. Summer time they get sprayed under feathers with it too.

There is egg withdrawal period I believe.

Pressure washing would blast them away with water, but it's not likely going to kill many of them, more than likely it distributes them
I wouldn't pressure wash, that's going to create problems. What strength is the permethrine? Just keep treating with the dust.
It definitely does work, I have done it the past as well (although it wasn't a as bad then)
It does kill some of them, and the others get sent so far away that its too hard for them to get back.
Also, one of my coops in mobile, so I moved it afterwards.
But I do know it isn't that affective, just that it slightly helps, and doesn't make things worse.
The dust may be a bit more effective since mites would have to crawl through it when coming out to feed and dust will settle into cracks in the wood. Give it a day or two, then maybe shop vac them up, be sure to dispose of the contents of the shop vac or burn it (the contents not the vac:D)
What is a shop vac?
is it just a heavy duty vacuum cleaner?
Dust your birds as well, I'm sure you have, but work the dust really well down into the feathers all the way to the skin. Get around the vents and underneath them too. Putting dust into a sock and using it as a powder puff to apply to the birds makes it easier. I try to dust birds a few times a year.
I haven't dusted them yet, (says I, feeling guilty) as I didn't realize that it was necessary for roost mites.
That is going to be a challenge on its own, as there is around 40 chickens, and most don't really like being handled.:th

I use liquid permethrin spray and soak all surfaces top to bottom. Focus on cracks and crevices. Repeat at ten and twenty days.

Winter time I dust the girls heavily at same time. Summer time they get sprayed under feathers with it too.

There is egg withdrawal period I believe.
I might look into the liquid, that sounds like quite a good solution.

Yes, a shop vac is a heavy duty vac.

Well, if you dust birds, this is another layer of eliminating the mites, they still may bite, but crawling through the dust as well.
Thank you!
We have a vac like that, so that sounds like a better solution then washing.
And I will definitely start dusting them this evening.
Do you think if I can't get them all done at the same time it matters to much?
I'm just not sure if I can manage doing them all at once.

If you have a lot of birds, then work/dust them in groups. Say, do all of a certain breed today, then move on to the next group tomorrow if that makes sense. Follow up with a re-dusting in 5-7 day intervals.

Back
Top Bottom